This is the latest addition to my ever-growing pile of travel guidebooks....it's what I'm currently reading in anticipation of my trip to Andalusia in mid October, and that's where I'm dreaming of being today!
Andalusia (Andalucía) is Spain's largest and southernmost province, just a few miles across the sea from Morocco...
Map found here
Southern Spain was a Muslim territory for about 700 years....after the Muslim dynasties were forced out in 1492 by Ferdinand and Isabella (the "Catholic Kings"), the new Spaniards incorporated the Moorish legacy rather than stamping it out. A new architectural style was forged - mudéjar - which combined Muslim and Christian decorative traditions.
'Alcazar' - a complex of palaces dating from Roman times and later used by both Moorish and Christian rulers. Photo found here
'Alcazar' - photo found here
'Giralda' - dating from the 12th century and originally built as a minaret for the central mosque, now the bell-tower for the Seville Cathedral. Photo found here
Andalusia is sprinkled liberally with pretty 'pueblos blancos', or white towns and villages....
Photo found here
The province also offers varied scenery, from the snowy mountains of the Sierra Nevada to the rolling olive groves, and the Andalusian steppes of the southeast.
El Chorro Gorge. Photo found here
Spain's legendery tapas (a small plate of appetizers that are served either as a lunch or evening snack) originated in 19th century Andalusia to accompany sherry....
Photo found here
The region is also famous for the flamenco...more than just a dance, this uniquely Andalusian art form is an expression of the joys and sorrows of life...
Flamenco - the soul of Andalusia. Photo found here
So, where do you wish you were this Tuesday?








Wow it looks and sounds beautiful! I wish I was in Paris - I love it there x
ReplyDeletehttp://pagesixxx.blogspot.com/
Wonderful post.. right now I wish I was
ReplyDeleteanywhere except work..Rome would be
my first choice.
Ive always heard about the beauty of Andalusia. It's a famous place in the history of Islam.
ReplyDeleteWish to be there too one day..
Ive been in Sevilla a few times and I really love that city! I think it is the most beautiful city of Spain (of what Ive seen ofcourse)..
ReplyDeletebeautiful photos!
I've never been, but I want to!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the virtual tour...
Let's go!!
ReplyDeleteGrumble. You're travelling again??? Seriously????!!!! Don't you think you've had enough and that you should contribute to the Sid's travel fund instead?
ReplyDeleteAnywhere but here ... Hmmm surfing in Nova Scotia, Canada. Don't ask.
jamie-lee and faye - good choices :-)
ReplyDeleteTK, Pat and Betty - hope you make it there someday!
myvisualillusions - sounds great :-)
Sid - I'll never have enough! Nat's travel fund will be running on empty after this...it's already siphoning off the New Kitchen fund, so doubt Sid's travel fund will get a look-in :) Nova Scotia sounds good too....