Do find out beforehand what your
guests don’t like to eat… I’ve served tomato and celery soup to someone who
eats everything under the sun, except celery and tomatoes.
Don’t try out exceedingly
complicated, new recipes or techniques.
Do remember to include all the
ingredients… especially the ones you sent your (long suffering) husband out to
get in the middle of the night, as you forgot to add them to your weekly
grocery delivery.
Don’t overdo the garlic… unless
you’re trapped in a Twilight Saga, there is definitely such a thing as too much
garlic, even in garlic bread!
Do keep your eye on the ball, or
rather on the oven…. otherwise that incredibly garlicky garlic bread will be
incredibly blackened, incredibly garlicky garlic bread.
Do stock up on the pre-dinner
nibbles, just in case the food takes longer to cook than you thought it would…. a few
years’ back, I kept an (exceedingly patient) dinner guest waiting till
nearly midnight to tuck into a chicken that stubbornly refused to roast– a disastrous
combination of not having a proper roasting pan and just a mini table-top oven.
Do create an ambient setting, but do watch out for fire hazards…. paper napkins + candles + animated dinner guests =
a good way to test your smoke detectors before winter.




Great suggestions, I don't even own cloth napkins, that will change. These images are great!!!!
ReplyDeletehaha- I hate paper napkins-
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun post and I love the photos!
ReplyDeleteLove the vintage prints Nat, and totally agree about the never using paper napkins!!
ReplyDeleteExcellent tips and fabulously illustrated!
ReplyDeleteI think we all learn by the errors we've made previously but paper napkins? Never! x
Haha - great advice and I love the vintage pics! It's a bummer that garlic smell so bad because it sure is delicious! :-)
ReplyDeleteExcellent post. Very useful before all the holidays we will have to endure. My only objection is about garlic. Especially if you have Greek guests. They can`t live without it :)
ReplyDeleteYou know what, we haven't done a dinner party in ages. Perhaps due to the kids. But I think I should invite some people over for one early next year.
ReplyDeleteThis is an awesome list of do's and don'ts. I laughed at some of them, but when you think about it, they're so right on. Pre-dinner appetizers are so important! People love to munch on things before dinner...including myself.
ReplyDeleteI always use a cloth napkin. Oh wait, that's my sleeve!
ReplyDeleteI love that and the pics are fantastic! It reminds me a little of my childhood... And I HATE paper napkins! Great post!
ReplyDeleteHaha...love it! Ooops...I use paper napkins. I have quite the beautiful collection too ;))
ReplyDelete