Or perhaps my still-almost-newly-fitted kitchen that comes complete with fully functioning split level ovens... as opposed to my old oven that had a broken door and three temperature settings - scorch, blacken and incinerate... has lulled me into a delusional state of thinking that I can actually cook, provided the recipe is not too taxing.
Either way, I have suddenly become rather interested in cooking and even more interested in baking... as you may have noticed from the content of my recent posts.
Do not be surprised to see strict-diet-weight-loss related posts shortly....
Just what every woman needs in the kitchen... a man who can cook!
So.... I decided last weekend I'd have a go at making our Christmas cake.
"What? In October?!!" I hear you cry....
Apparently, this is the perfect time to make that festive fare, leaving two months to "feed" the cake with the acoholic beverage of your choice....
And if there's one thing we have in abundance in this house, it's hard liquor.... not because we're alcoholics or anything like that (yeah!yeah! denial is the first sign!) but because we are always getting booze as gifts (our friends obviously do think we're partial to the odd tipple!). We're also rather fond of buying bottles of obscure liqueurs as "souvenirs" when we travel... bottles that get put in a cupboard and forgotten about long before the holiday laundry pile is depleted.
We could open a cocktail bar tomorrow, and have some very merry customers for a very long time.
The Christmas cake recipe I'd chosen suggests rum or brandy... and I knew I had a bottle of rum lurking in the back of the drinks cabinet, a bottle acquired in the Dominican Republic back in 2005. I think it was actually a freebie from the hotel room that we packed in our hand luggage at the last minute... you know, back in the olden days when it was still legal to fly with more than a fairy's thimble of liquids about your person?
Why is the rum always gone?
Whatever... the point is, we had a bottle of rum going spare and I was delighted to finally find a use for it, and free up some space in that groaning drinks cabinet. Approximately 5 hours later, with the Christmas cake successfully made (yes it does take a rather long time to bake!) I was feeling rather pleased with myself and decided to post something about it on the social network.... and it's not often that I do post anything because frankly, my life is just not that interesting (and yet I somehow manage to keep a blog running with the drivel of my daily life!) and more importantly, I don't feel the need to inform the wider world that I'm waiting for a bus... or describe in detail how my baby has been projectile vomiting over everyone. Mainly because I don't often take the bus... and I don't have babies.
Anyway, perhaps it was the shock of me actually posting something for a change that caused such a huge response... or maybe an otherwise slow day on FacePlantBook, but I sparked a massive debate about the fate of that bottle of rum. General consensus... there are better things to do with a bottle of rum than "waste it pouring it over a cake"!
Do you agree?
Do you agree?
The Christmas Cake... and the bottle of rum that caused so much consternation
Anyone interested in the recipe for Christmas Cake? I'd be happy to post it....



I once had that same oven - hah! I do use an oven thermometer now just out of an old habit with a bad oven.
ReplyDeleteRum? Pouring it over a cake seems like a fine plan to me as long as you are not singing "one for the cake and one for me" as you go along. Well, why not.
Bises,
Genie
I want that kitchen 'gadget' in the first photo, where do I find one Nat!! Also, about the rum, a rum and coke is nice once in a blue moon when you're trying (I mean I'm trying)to relive my youth, but in a cake is way better. It's going to be perfect by Christmas.
ReplyDeleteOh, dear . . . two months to soak up rum . . . sounds perfect. (Would that work for me, too? Eh, maybe on a beach.)
ReplyDeleteSo loving your new kitchen (and the posts that are coming from it!)
Dear Nat - I have never heard of FacePlantBook, but rum in the cake a definite thumbs up. It will be delicious by Christmas - cheers.
ReplyDeleteHello Nat:
ReplyDeleteWell, we have given up cooking anything but, when we did cook, our oven must have been exactly the same make as your old one!! Your splendid Christmas cake looks as if it deserves only the best. Anoint with the Rum!
That cakes looks yummy and what the heck I would take that cook too!
ReplyDeleteI'm all for letting the cake soak in rum! Tell your friends that there are plenty more bottles where that one came from. Congrats on the successful baking adventure.
ReplyDeleteThe cake looks delicious.. and there is nothing wrong with a little enhancing the flavor.. I use
ReplyDeleteSouthern Comfort for soaking...it has sort of a
fruity taste... my preferred cake to make is a
Harvey Wallbanger cake ( vodka and galliano added to the mix...) and of course you just have to have a Harvey Wallbanger while preparing ...
Feeding a Christmas cake for two months may just result in a jolly Christmas party. That cake will be a ticking bomb by then, waiting to blow somebody's mind. Better feed them well before cutting the cake.
ReplyDeletePlease send me that naked man with the eetsy bitsy apron!
ReplyDeleteWould really appreciate the cake recipe as well! ;)
What - you´re feeding it for two months? And the cake stays fresh for that long? This is something I had no clue about, never heard of such a cake! :-D
ReplyDeleteAs to that man in the kitchen - if he has abs like that, who cares if he can cook.
ReplyDeleteWhat H...who cares about cake? I would like to order one of those kitchen accessories up there in your first photo! :-)
ReplyDeleteLooks like my Naked Chef is quite popular :-)
ReplyDeleteFarmGirl... I promise to post the recipe soon :-)
tinajo...It's a rich fruit cake that needs to be stored wrapped up with food wrap and foil, and kept in an air tight container...
I'm addicted to Chopped so I can relate to having a weakness for cooking shows. That cake sounds and looks amazing!
ReplyDelete