Sunday, 16 October 2011

Easy As Pie....

I have a very sweet tooth... and having equally sweet-toothed friends over for lunch is a great excuse to make that great British classic for dessert, banoffee pie!

Here's what you need...




300 g oaty biscuits*
60 g butter, melted
397 g tin Nestle Carnation Caramel**
3 large bananas
350 ml double thick cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
chocolate (to decorate)

* Suggest McVities Hob Nobs in the UK (USA/Canadian equivalent would be graham crackers, I believe McVities biscuits are available in Australia, and in South Africa, "Tennis" biscuits would be good)
** Dulce de Leche



Here's what you do....


Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.

Crush the biscuits, then add the melted butter and combine. 






Press the mixture into a 24 cm tart tin, with a removable base, in an even layer. Transfer the tin to a baking sheet and cook for 10-12 minutes, until lightly toasted and set. 




Leave to cool then gently release from the tin and put on a serving plate.

Spread the caramel over the biscuit base and chill in the fridge for 1 hour. 




Arrange the banana slices over the toffee. 




Whip the cream and sugar together to form soft peaks and spread over the bananas.




Decorate with grated chocolate.




And enjoy......


6 comments:

  1. OMG this looks super easy and DELICIOUS. Now I want to make this AND La Dama peanut butter cheesecake. Thanks for sharing!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banoffee pie - one of my favourites

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy! What are oaty biscuits in U.S. English? ;-) They look a bit like graham crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graham crackers are good... anything with a rough, oaty texture and not too sweet as there's enough sweetness from the caramel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM YUM YUM!!!!! I think you just made me like bananas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY!!!!! That looks scrumdiddlyumptious!!!!!! And I think I can actually make this!!!!! OK, I'm printing out the recipe! YUMMMM!

    ReplyDelete