Friday, 14 October 2011

Nothing Beats An Old Classic...

One of my favourite photographs of all time is Charles C Ebbets' "Lunch atop a Skyscraper"... taken in New York, on the 69th floor of the RCA Building as it neared completion in 1932. The famous photo shows 11 construction workers precariously perched on a steel beam 800 ft (240 m) above the ground.





Some people reckon the photograph is a fake....but I'd like to think not. I admire the photo so much, that I have a large canvas print version of it hanging up in my beautiful new kitchen.

Recently, Ebbets' iconic photo was recreated by Michael Crompton....but in 2011, the 11 construction engineers in central London swapped vests for high-visibility jackets and safety harnesses as they ate out on a girder over the construction site of the 46-floor Heron Tower (230 m) in temperatures of almost minus 9 degrees C.




Interesting.... but nothing beats Ebbets' original!

........


In other photographic news, I could not resist sharing this shot of a rather well-endowed...er....squirrel!

Warning!!! This photograph contains full-frontal squirrel nudity which some viewers may find alarming!


Squirrel exposed!


All eyes should have been on the delicious array of cakes and pastries prepared by the finalists of the Great British Bake Off. But the baked goods had to play second fiddle to a squirrel.....the subject of a lingering camera shot in the grounds of the mansion where the BBC2 show was filmed.

And viewers could not help noticing its unmistakably masculine appearance. Clips were posted on YouTube, while hundreds took to social networks and TV forums to discuss it.... everyone was going nuts for the risqué rodent!

Happy weekend everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Ok those pictures gives me the heebie jeebies...I hate heights and I can feel my stomach turn just looking at those men sitting on the beams..eeekk!

    I'd rather look at a well endowed squirrel any day than someone in high places! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Saimi - the picture gives me the heebie jeebies too - I feel slightly faint looking at it. It IS, nonetheless, a great photograph if I could get past the height thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved that picture too Nat, even though it gives me vertigo just looking at it, but it's insanely fabulous..The 'nutty' squirrel is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that first one, my brother's got it in his lounge and I can stare at it for hours.
    Love the squirrel! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the classic photo of the men sitting on the girder in New York. It makes me feel anxious for them, just looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't look at the construction workers' photo for long. I actually get acrophobia. True!

    I can look at the squirrel, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always loved that first photo! I never saw the remake...but you're right. While it's interesting in its own right, it just doesn't feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! Oh my goodness! That squirrel photo makes me laugh.

    The first two gave my butterflies - I don't know how those guys work so high up!

    xo,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old photo or re-creation. Those are so scary to me! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am forever changed after the squirrel viewing. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete