Wednesday, 22 December 2010

How Did I Do?

As the year draws rapidly to an end, it’s time for me to revisit my Hope To Do List For 2010 and see how I got on with my goals...



1. Become Master Ninja at Aikido
Ha! This is never actually going to happen...I struggle to work out my left foot from my right most of the time. Then there's the minor issue of a morbid fear of rolling head over heels (break falling). Amazingly, I did manage to pass my first grading though.

2. Get superfit and svelte
I’m certainly fitter (thanks to the energetic Aikido classes and boxercise sessions with Muscle Man) but as long as there is a source of chocolate on this planet, I’m never ever going to be svelte...



3. Run the 10 km Race For Life
Well, it was more of a jog/shuffle/hobble than a run, but I did it, raising £175 for Cancer Research. Then I walked a half marathon, raising £225 for Macmillan Cancer Support. I’m very glad that I took part in both.

4. See the Dutch bulbfields
I really tried to...but I hadn’t counted on a $%^&ing Icelandic volcano spewing an ash cloud into the sky and shutting down European airspace, just a few days before I was scheduled to leave. I am still fighting for my travel insurance to cough up the money they owe me for my cancelled trip, and along with hundreds of thousands of equally conned people, I’m waiting on the Financial Ombudsman to make her final decision. I'm not holding my breath...

5. Take a city break in Berlin
Didn’t happen. I was a bit put off city breaks after the Amsterdam fiasco. I did get to see Lisbon (briefly as I was at a conference), somehow managing to fly in and out between ash cloud disruptions, and I was wowed by the beautiful city of Seville during the Andalusian adventure. 

6. Visit Canada (or China or Japan)
O Canada!  I had a fantastic trip to Vancouver Island and the Rockies in June that you may have read about in my couple of dozen posts. Absolutely loved it and hope to return soon. As for China or Japan...watch this space as we’re hoping to squeeze in a visit somewhere in the East in the second half of 2011.




7. Stop worrying about things I cannot control
Definitely didn’t happen. I have spent a large part of the year worrying about something or another, most often my dad’s health, which has unfortunately not been too great lately.

8. Overcome my fear of driving
I was forced into this.... with B being away for business and my dad in and out of hospital in another part of the country, I had to do some hairy driving on Britain’s motorways this year. Now, with the icey weather upon us, I’m trying to get to grips (literally) with snow driving.

9. Let go of people who bring me down
Again, this didn’t really happen, although I’ve learnt to sometimes screen my calls….some days I just can’t deal with anyone else’s (really quite trivial, self-inflicted) problems.



10. Plan and save for a new kitchen
This became quite urgent earlier this month, when the door fell off our oven…it’s back on now, but we broke the handle in the process, meaning we now have to prise the door open with a knife and burn ourselves senseless. I've decided I want a sleek black and white kitchen….the designs are in, finances are under review, so watch this space.

11. Learn to cook properly
While having a decrepit oven doesn’t inspire me to undertake anything too complicated, I can make some damn good lamb stew (in the slow cooker), roast chicken and lasagna, and I can bake a great banana bread. What else would anyone want? Best thing I bought this year…an egg poaching pan.



12. Watch 3 classic films
Does watching 'Love Actually' for the tenth time count? Just never found the time this year…probably because I was too busy watching rubbish TV.

13. Watch less rubbish TV, read more good books
Epic fail on this one (see 12 above).



How did you get on with your new year plans in 2010?

8 comments:

  1. I gave up on resolutions a long long
    time ago. You had better results than
    I ever managed when I made a list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I had any resolutions this time last year... too swamped by the mom thing ;-)

    I'll give it some thought...
    Happy Christmas Nat and B (always wonder why he's "B")

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. sorry to hear about your Dad not doing well. hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo - you had some good ones on there, Nat. I did not do very well on my list, but it's ok. There's always tomorrow . . . or the day after . . . or the day after that. I'm starting fresh in 2011!!!

    Sorry about your father's health. I'll keep you all in my thoughts. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope to lose weight this year but I gained weight instead. I blame it on chocolate too!!
    It was all the chocolate's fault!
    Sorry about your father..Hope his health will improve..

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) Run the half marathon in under 3 hours.
    2) Published a "scientific" article AND won R10 000 in the process.
    3) Travelled. Unfortunately not overseas (I did try though) but I did see lots of SA. Might be going to Bali next year.
    4) Fall in love - epic fail.
    5) Got rid of Ms Negativity. I do miss her sometimes. She was good for a party.

    Not sure if these were all on my list. But 2010 has been a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and sorry about your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't worry ... there's always next year! I achieved about 5% on my list!!!
    Happy Xmas!

    ReplyDelete