Monday, 20 September 2010

I Just Called To Say....

Recent telephone conversations that I could have happily lived without.....

AAVR*: Welcome to the Bright Spark Electricity Supply Company Helpline. If you’re phoning to report a power failure, please press 1.

Nat: £%^$! [Trying to get my mobile phone** to realise I am indeed tapping the digit 1 on its stupid little touch screen]

AAVR: I’m sorry. I do not recognise that number. Please try again.

Nat: £%^$ing *%^$! [Still trying to get my mobile phone to realise that I am still tapping the digit 1 on its stupid little touch screen]

AAVR: I’m sorry. I do not recognise that number. Please try again.

Repeat this cycle of stupidity a few more times, until finally.....

AAVR: I notice that you are calling from a mobile phone. Please enter the landline number from which you would usually be calling.

Nat: Are you a bit slow or what? Yes, I am indeed calling you from a mobile phone...that's because my cordless landline telephone runs off  e l e c t r i c i t y....you know, the stuff you guys charge us astronomical sums of money for?

AAVR: I’m sorry. I do not recognise that number. Please try again. Alternatively, you can email us or visit our website on www.no we don’t see the irony of getting you to contact us via electricity driven devices when you are reporting a powercut.com
................................................................
*Annoying Automated Voice Responder

** UK speak for cell phone






AMPSP*: Hello...is that Nat?

Nat: Speaking. Who is calling, please?

AMPSP: This is your AMPSP. For security purposes I need you to give me the first line of your address and postal code.

Nat: Why? If I’m your customer and you’re phoning me on the number you provided me with, why don’t you have those details on file?

AMPSP: Madam, it’s for security purposes.

Nat: Yes, I can appreciate that...I’m very concerned about security myself. Which is why I’d prefer not to give those details to you, as I have no proof that you are who you say you are.

AMPSP: I can give you a phone number that you can call and they will verify that this is indeed your AMPSP calling...

Nat: No thanks. For all I know, you’ve got your mate sitting on the other end, just waiting to get hold of my details.

AMPSP: Madam, I must inform you that these calls are recorded for training purposes.

Nat: Good. Because I think you could do with some retraining in how not to wind your customers up when they are having a really bad week. [And another thing, please do not call me madam – it makes me feel like a very old woman... and one that is in charge of a house of disrepute.]

AMPSP: -Click-
................................................................
*Annoying Mobile Phone Service Provider (or so they claim)

2 comments:

  1. Arrrrggggghhhhhh! I feel your pain, baby! Once I...oh, wait a minute. Do you mind if I put you on hold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cringe whenever the land line
    rings.. friends and family know to
    phone my cell. Unfortunately at work I
    have to answer every call .

    ReplyDelete