It seems I’ve drawn the short straw at work (again!) as I’m writing a clinical study report about....how can I put this politely?....a medical drink that will ensure complete evacuation of the bowels in preparation for a surgical procedure, such as a colonoscopy. Deeeeeeelightful!!!
As the drug is in its early stages of development, the study took place in healthy young men - we call them ‘volunteers’. You’ve got to ask yourself though....who in their right mind volunteers to willingly glug down gallons of laxatives, knowing full well they are going to be spending the next few hours chained to the toilet?
It’s probably not surprising then that the study took place in an economically challenged European country, where there are more than two dozen strapping young blokes quite willing to put themselves through this torture in exchange for a few Euros. Having the runs is unfortunately not the only side effect they’d encounter.... stomach cramps, dizziness, vomiting....you name it they could suffer it!
Just hope the trial unit splashed out on some heavy duty nose plugs for their staff...and some ultra soft 4-ply for those ‘volunteers’...
In bizarrely related news, this week I got my own back on my friend who gave me the Cock-A-Doodle pad for my birthday pad (described here) with this pretty distasteful gift of scented animal print toilet rolls....
I reckon that's a bum (w)rap!





I don't think I'll be signing up for the trails.....
ReplyDeleteBetty - I wouldn't recommend them :)
ReplyDelete