It's Wednesday and that means it's time for Where In The World Wednesday again, hosted by the lovely Classy in Philadelphia. Why don't you take part too? All you have to do is post a picture (or many like I do!) of someplace in the world. Don't forget to use the WITWW button in your post, and to visit Classy in Philadelphia later to post a comment on her WITWW, so that other participants can visit your blog too.
As might be expected in mid winter, it was absolutely freezing and raining quite a bit of the time but we did get some good breaks of sunshine, hence my pictures of the Parisian landmarks are just a bit hit and miss....
Notre Dame in the gloom
The greatest challenge of the weekend (apart from trying to use my schoolgirl French on the world's rudest waiters/shopkeepers/ticket vendors/hoteliers) was getting up the Eiffel Tower...not because we tried scaling it like cat burglars or anything as exciting, but because ze gods seemed adamant that we would not get to the top! The first morning, the iconic symobol of Paris was completely shrouded in mist, then when the weather finally cleared later that afternoon, the tower was closed because of a Chinese New Year celebration parade taking place along the Avenue des Champs-Élysées....I'm not too sure why this would impact on the Tour Eiffel, but as they say in Paris with much shoulder shrugging and mournful lower lip protruding going on....."Je ne sais pas pourquoi"!
Finally, we made it up the tower on the Sunday afternoon with just enough time to get back down again and catch our train back to.... "Waterloo! Promise to love you forever more!"
Avenue des Champs-Élysées from the Tour Eiffel
Looking down from the top of the Tour Eiffel
The day after we got back from Paris, I had an interview for what would become my first medical writing job...the job that would get me out of the lab and into a new career field, and would mean moving out of London, presenting the opportunity to buy our first house. So, I always look back on that weekend in Paris as one of the turning points in my life, and not just because I hit my 30s.

Great pics, great trip and great memories!!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos. I love the city whether it is winter or spring. Fond memories of my visits there. And taking the Eurostar to London..
ReplyDeleteWow, amazing photos! Thanks for sharing with us!
ReplyDeleteYour photos are absolutely gorgeous -- and what a wonderful weekend! I would love to visit Paris and would love it even more if I could leave from London, too... London is, hands down, my most favorite place in the world. :) So I envy you the entire experience, hehe!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pics, as always.
ReplyDeleteI love that that weekend represents a turning point in your life. It's awesome that you have a marker like that to look back upon.
I absolutely love Paris - it's one of my favourite places, even though I haven't been since I was 15. A bunch of my friends actually flew over there just for the day last year - it sounded exhilerating but exhausting!
ReplyDeleteI loved Paris! I want to go back!
ReplyDeleteWow, these pictures are incredible. I just went to Europe last summer and have never seen it represented so well!! That's so cool that a turning point of your life occurred in such a beautiful place. Amazing photos and blog!
ReplyDeleteThese are rather amazing photos! Thank you for taking me along for the ride!
ReplyDeletegreat photos!
ReplyDeletei went to paris in december 2005 and had a great time!
(and now i also have abba in my head!)
Love these photos.
ReplyDeleteNow I want to go back to Paris. I went years ago but I didn't appreciate it.
The Eiffel Tower picture is SO cool! I didn't have a great experience in Paris, but your pictures are amazing. Thanks for joining in!
ReplyDelete