Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Where In The World Wednesday: Arizona



It's Where in the World Wednesday time again, brainchild of Classy in Philadelphia. If you want to take part, all you have to do is post a picture of someplace in the world, then visit the comments section later on Classy in Philadelphia's post to see who else is participating, and leave your link so that other participants can visit your blog too. Remember to use the WITWW button in your post.

Back in October 2008, B and I did a road trip through the Western United States of California, Nevada and Arizona.


It was a fabulous trip and I will eventually tell you all about it, but for today I am going to focus on Arizona. I was really awe struck by the spectacular scenery and seemingly neverending desert landscapes of this state.


On the road


Saguaro cacti

We stopped at Montezuma's Castle, which is built into the limestone cliffs above Beaver's Creek. Once home to the Sinagua people, the dwelling dates back to the 1100s.

Remains of Montezuma Castle

Then it was on to the magnificent red-rock country around Sedona....


Red rocks near Sedona


We took a jeep ride through the red-rock canyons....




We spent the night in Flagstaff, and were up early the next day for the drive to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.....what a magnificent sight!

 
South Rim of Grand Canyon



 


Baby tarantula in Grand Canyon National Park


Our day included a helicopter flight over the edge of the canyon....


View of the Canyon from the helicopter




We left the Grand Canyon in the late afternoon, heading for the bright lights of Las Vegas....but I will tell you about that another day.


7 comments:

  1. love the photos of the canyon and you have the
    most remarkable photo of the cacti.. all the
    ones I saw were weather damaged.. yours is perfect... I'm jealous !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely my favourite part of North America bar none. One day I plan on living down there in the desert somewhere. Its beauty is just unsurpassed. Love your photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I would LOVE to go to Arizona - and the big cacti are sooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures.

    Although the tarantula made me jump. I do not like spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Cazz went to Arizona last year. She sent me a postcard of Flagstaff - it's on my office wall right now.

    I held a tarantula in my hand recently.

    Oh and you're so lucky to have experienced the Grand Canyon on a helicopter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faye - Cacti photo was taken near an old abandoned gas station called "Jack Ass" ;-)
    Veg - one of my fav places in the world and somewhere I could live too, pref near Sedona :-)
    P - highly recommend it!
    WhisperingWriter - thanks :-) I hate spiders too but seeing one like that was pretty cool!
    Sid - you are far braver than me...I would freak out if I had any type of spider on any part of my body!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tour! Great photos..I've been there but it's been a long time...

    road trip!

    ReplyDelete