Sunday, 8 May 2011

Things I Learnt On My South African Holiday




Getting stuck on an overheated plane for 3 hours while the engineers attempt to fix a technical fault... which culminated in an aborted take-off halfway down the runway, a scary emergency stop, an overnight delay in a dodgy London hotel without any luggage and the loss of a whole day in Cape Town, is probably not the best way to start one’s holiday. It also does nothing to improve my mortal fear of flying.

Cape Town is still one of my favourite places on earth... it is so beautiful, especially when the sun shines for four days in a row AND the infamous southeaster is not howling a gale.

Table Mountain - from the V&A Waterfront

I really miss my friends in South Africa... trying to catch up on five years’ living in just a few hours is exhausting.

I have the cutest nephews in the world... and they can whip my butt at football (and lego tower building) any day.



Never trust a Sat Nav... unless ending up driving through dubious areas is your idea of fun. Who knew that there are so many roads with the same name in Cape Town?

I’ve gotten soft with all the central heating in the UK... when the mercury dips over here we flick a switch, and get instant heat. I was NOT enjoying the night time falls to below freezing in Mountain Zebra Park.

Mountain Zebra Park (Eastern Cape) - sunny but chilly!


Thankfully there was a roaring fire every evening!


I REALLY need to invest in a more sophisticated camera... my attempts to capture wildlife with my puny point-and-shoot model are quite pathetic.




Arranging to get one's kitchen refitting started while away is not always the best plan... returning home to a building site and a layer of thick red dust over EVERYTHING does nothing to improve the post-holiday blues!

How are you all doing? Hope to catch up with your blogs over the next few days!

13 comments:

  1. Love hearing about your trips! Your nephews are indeed cutie-pies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Sorry your trip got off to a bad start but glad to hear that it progressed nicely. (And I think the photo of the zebra is fab!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home Nat...
    Any time away is better than being stuck in
    heat, humidity and construction dust. Your
    trip sounded great to me, except for the airplane
    snafu.. I would have been pacing the aisles.
    And your photos are amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiccups in travel plans always make for great stories!! Glad you had a good time otherwise!

    Your nephews are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I am not the only one with a fear of flying! Looks like you had a wonderful time in the Mother City.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful holiday, my dear! OH, I love to travel with you . . . glad you are safe and sound, and love these photos. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you trip was memorable for many reasons. My former husband spent several years in South Africa. He loved Cape Town. I would still love the visit there someday. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh there better be more photos of Cape Town!

    I've been good. Injured my leg (but you already know that), thinking about applying for the most "perfect" job ever AND ... have tried my hand at baking a cheese cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loads more photos to follow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great trip and I agree, your nephews are super-cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cape Town is one of my fav places on earth too-
    That is CRAZY scary about the flight- I would cry. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Things I have learned on your South African holiday: I would like to go there! Yes indeedy. Looking forward to more pics, missy! :) Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a coworker from Capetown. Nothing but amazing things to say about it.

    ReplyDelete