Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Calitzdorp

Calitzdorp, in the heart of the Klein Karoo, is situated almost halfway between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, along the scenic Route 62, and is surrounded by the Swartberg, Rooiberg and Gamkaberg Mountains.



Calitzdorp has some fine examples of Victorian and Edwardian architecture.....














The town is dominated by the imposing Dutch Reformed Church, built in the New Byzantine style in 1912....






Beautiful in its stark simplicity though, is the neo-Gothic St Mark's Church (1880) that bears bells cast in London and is possibly the second smallest Anglican church in the world (the smallest being St Jade in Scotland)...




Calitzdorp is the Port Wine capital of South Africa, boasting five wine cellars...









A good base for exploring the main attractions of the Klein Karoo... the Cango Caves, ostrich farms at Oudtshoorn and the scenic mountain passes. More on those later....

7 comments:

  1. what beautiful photos- I love the different styles of homes and farms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is much prettier than the sound of its name (which I still can't pronounce). And wine capitals are among my favorite capitals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Port Wine.. so I know I would enjoy a
    visit.. great photos,Nat.!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing these old buildings. Thanks for the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that really IS some amazing architecture..

    slyde
    www.slydesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another part of the world I'd really like to go to. thanks for the great photo-tour!

    ReplyDelete