Friday, 27 May 2011

Cango Caves

Situated in a limestone ridge parallel to the Swartberg Mountains, the Cango Caves are a series of dripstone caverns that open into vast halls of towering stalagmite formations…

























Happy weekend, everyone!

16 comments:

  1. Happy weekend Nat.....

    Lovely photos of the Caves.. but I can only look
    at photos of caves... too claustrophobic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent cave images Nat, I remember when we used to travel down to Zimbabwe (it was Rhodesia then) from Zambia, we always stopped at the Sinoa Caves, did you ever see them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is still on my to do list! Oudtshoorn is so close to us, yet I have never been to the Cango Caves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool cave shots! You must have a really good low light camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow- amazing photos- Looks similar to Carlsbad Caves we have.
    So maybe I can ask you this- We were thinking of doing a family trip next year to Tanzania- do you have any advice- what about other places that you would recommend- I really want to go to Zanzibar- so we were thinking it could be a beach/safari trip. My boys have never been to Africa and I am looking forward to taking them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @PerthDailyPhoto - I saw the Sinoa Caves (now the Chinhoyi Caves (as a very young child so don't remember much :-)

    @Ren - sorry, haven't been to Tanzania yet, but I have heard that Zanzibar is beautiful! I would highly recommend South Africa too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caves are so beautiful, but I'm afraid to go inside. So I'm happy to enjoy them through your fantastic images!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how amazing that is! I have always wanted to visit a cave like that. Hope you are doing wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caves are seriously amazing. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ASTOUNDING photographs !

    Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you do the standard or adventure tour? I went there last year. Did the standard tour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the comments everyone :-)

    @Sid - did the standard tour...not up to crawling through tight spaces... thought my ass might get stuck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos! I love caverns, but the formations can be pretty spooky looking...

    ReplyDelete
  14. we did the caves in virginia last summer, it's breathtaking. yo, that one cactus really does look like a weenie :)

    FourthGradeNothing.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow .. really cool photos. Although I have a hard time breathing just looking at them. Not sure I could do a tour like this (I remember my parents taking us to the Ozarks when I was a kid and I we went on a tour of a number of caves. I think my brother threatened to leave me in there and I'm scarred for life - ah, but I still enjoy your pics!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks amazing there! South Africa is definitely on my list of places to travel to! When I was in Slovenia i went to some really cool caves there - http://www.slovenia.info/?naravne_znamenitosti_jame=450 - they were pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete