Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Prickly Beauties

Some rather spiky (and smelly) plants from the Klein Karoo....


Stapelia (Carion flower) - the flowers of these succulents give off a smell of rotting flesh that attracts flies for pollination


Pear cactus
























Is it just me... or are some of these rather phallic?


A thorny issue? It's the Acacia karroo, also known as the Sweet Thorn

10 comments:

  1. Some prickly subjects there Nat, and no it's not just you, definitely some suggestive shapes there haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... these are fantastic shots.
    I find cacti a difficult subject to shoot..
    but you have it mastered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice photos!
    Love all the different patterns in cactus. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suggestive shapes indeed. That just ups the entertainment value.

    These are great Nat! I so admire your talent! Hope you are enjoying your week =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Acacias. Gives the place an African feel.

    Also haven't never seen or smelt the first plant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been called a prickly beauty from time to time. I am proud to be in the same category as these lovely ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, now some of these look familiar (not for the reason you might be thinking - phallic- ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos Nat! With the dry weather we're having in South London soon I'll be able to grow some cacti here :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phallic definitely. Nature is very sensual, you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Nat ... I have a 'thing' with cacti. I'm major fond of the Saguaro cactus in Arizona and when I first saw them, I thought they were the most beautiful creatures ever. I'm loving these pictures!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete