No, I'm talking about the water than until just recently was pouring from my loft into my linen cupboard... saturating every towel and sheet I own. You see, we had a slight altercation with the hot water tank earlier today...actually, it all started yesterday when the new kitchen radiator was fitted. Yes, the end is finally in sight with the kitchen refurbishment... just a few finishing touches to be done this week and then we're good to go.
Or so we thought.
This morning did not start well. Waking up to Arctic temperatures is not alleviated by the discovery that...
a) Summer has upped sticks and migrated to warmer climes.
b) You have no hot water.
Turns out that fitting that new radiator introduced that biggest, meanest air lock into the central heating system since.... well, since air locks thought it would be a good idea to lurk in innocent people's heating systems and cause havoc.
Much to-ing and fro-ing, in and out of the loft to the hot water tank, and we finally got the heating system sorted late this afternoon. Then we foolishly headed out for a curry... only to arrive home to the strange smell of hot water saturating plaster...and the sound of water gushing through the ceiling! As you may expect in such situations, our immediate reaction was to....
PANIC!!!!!!!!
That done, we somehow got the water turned off, worked out it's the overflow pipe that has gone AWOL and then assessed the damage. By some bizarre twist of fortune, the water had all poured into the linen cupboard where it was effectively dammed by the super absorbent (and super clean!) contents of said cupboard... and thus did not reach the almost finished kitchen just below. A narrow escape!
So, let's look on the bright side of life....I now have around 25 loads of soggy laundry to do, on top of trying to eradicate builder's dust and general chaos from the house.... but at least the new kitchen remains intact!
For the moment.
I need chocolate.... and I need it now!!!!!!!!



oh goodness! What a crazy time. I hope it all gets better from here on
ReplyDeleteI hate days like that.
ReplyDeleteI most definitely would have
ReplyDeletePANICKED .. you seemed to have handled
it well... better to do laundry than replace
water logged walls.
Today will be better... make it so !!
I yai, yai Nat that's terrible! We had a similar experience with a pipe that broke during the winter. It happened to flood our downstairs bathroom.
ReplyDeleteNot fun but I'm glad for you that it could have been worse and wasn't.
Thank goodness for small miracles! Last year I managed to overflow the dishwasher. Kitchen was under water. Farmer was not very happy.
ReplyDeleteThat was a disaster Nat, but I have to admit you did make me laugh at the telling of it!! Hope the chocolate was big enough and worked!!
ReplyDeleteOh, Baby!! You deserve chocolate and I mean NOW!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's a bummer about all the water issues Nat. Hope it gets all squared away soon =) Chocolate will make it all feel better. It does for me, anyway :P
ReplyDeletethat sucks! I'm sure it will nice once it's all over with (including the laundry).
ReplyDeleteOh dear Nat! At least the kitchen is okay. We've finally bought and are going to have a new boiler installed. After your story I think I want to cancel my order ;)
ReplyDeleteGood luck Al... always remember to check the overflow pipe is connected :-) Easily dislodged when you're messing about with the water system!
ReplyDeleteBummer!!!!! I sure hope everything is repaired and back to normal by now. And that you got your BIG bar of chocolate.
ReplyDelete