Few gardens in the world can match the sheer grandeur of the setting of Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, against the eastern slopes of Cape Town’s Table Mountain.
Established in 1913 to promote, conserve and display the extraordinarily rich and diverse flora of southern Africa, Kirstenbosch was the first botanic garden in the world to be devoted to a country's indigenous flora.
There are over 7 000 species in cultivation at Kirstenbosch, including many rare and threatened species from all the diverse regions of southern Africa.
Kirstenbosch lies in the heart of the Cape Floristic Region, also known as the Cape Floral Kingdom. In 2004 the Cape Floristic Region, including Kirstenbosch, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site – another first for Kirstenbosch, it is the first botanic garden in the world to be included within a natural World Heritage Site.
The gardens often showcase sculptures and other art exhibits...
Definitely one of my favourite spots in Cape Town!
I can see why it is one of your favorites..
ReplyDeleteit would be one of mine as well.
Very cool! Your pictures are so amazing I feel like I'm traveling right along side of you!
ReplyDeleteLove going on vacay with you, Nat!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, this is very beautiful! I really like that ape sculpture, too.
ReplyDeleteSuch an interesting post Nat, I really enjoyed it a lot!
ReplyDeleteWhat an excellent series of photos.
ReplyDeletewow! what a place...
ReplyDeleteI'd love to be turned loose in their with a camera.
Ha! This is where I work. Must admit that I love the smell of fynbos in the morning.
ReplyDelete