Built around 1190 AD by King Jayavarman VII, Bayon is a Buddhist temple, but it incorporates elements of Hindu cosmology... and is famous for its massive, serene stone faces.
Do you see what I did here? Faces? Can you face more photos? Never mind...
Bayon Temple
The temple is also known for two impressive sets of bas-reliefs, which present an unusual combination of mythological, historical, and mundane scenes.
A scene depicting a naval battle
Fishing scene
A Ray of Light - smoke from the incense burners, reflecting the sunlight
It should not be forgotten that the temples are still places of worship for devout Cambodians.
Hope they don't mind all these annoying tourists!
To conclude my series of Cambodian temple scenes, here are a few more photographs of Angkor Wat temple, that I showed in an earlier post on here.
Devatas in Angkor Wat
Vishnu
Wow . . . I am constantly in awe of the 'living' art in our world. My country is a new one, by comparison to the history in these photos. I travel to our local museums to see things like this. But knowing that you've visited the actual places . . . . Big sigh . . . Amazing. LOVE these photos, Nat.
ReplyDeleteI´m not tired of them at all - very exotic to me! :-)
ReplyDeleteThose are great photographs - I could never tire of them. I love all the gorgeous detailing that went into all the stone work - very impressive!
ReplyDeleteKeep them coming! Jon loves your photography as much as I do. x
ReplyDeleteYour pictures are a vacation on their own. These temples are just beautiful I can't imagine the time it took to create such striking images!
ReplyDeleteThose are just amazing! I bet they were incredible to see in person. Thanks for sharing them!
ReplyDeleteIt will have to take a lot more temples before I get tired of it. These are absolutely amazing again. I always wanted to be an archaeologist and discover places like this alaIndiana Jones, so keep 'em coming.
ReplyDeleteAs far as I'm concerned, you can post as many as you like! I love them! Ancient things amaze, confuse and captivate me... Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThank you for this report. I hope you will pick up some dance moves from this country :)
ReplyDeleteI absolutely never get tired of looking at temple images Nat, they fascinate me.. the carvings and the fact that they've been there for hundreds of years..thank you for showing them to us so beautifully here.
ReplyDelete