Wednesday, 20 June 2012

BIG News!

We interrupt Nat's Travel Monologues with some breaking news...

Back in January I mentioned that I was embarking on a new healthy lifestyle regime, determined to shift some weight by making some permanent changes.... such a New Year cliche, right? Right!




I promised not to bore you all with nonstop, tedious calorie-counting tales.... so I haven't! I dabbled with a separate weight loss blog, optimistically named Not So Fat Nat.... not my finest work. I barely manage to keep up with this little collection of random tales and travel pics, let alone maintain a healthy eating journal too. However, while that blog never really got off the ground, my weight loss plan did... and I am happy to report that by last night I had reached my new target weight at my slimming club.

I've shifted almost 3 stone (that's 42 pounds/20 kg), dropped from a UK size 16 (US size 12) to a UK 12 (US 8), and got my BMI down to a healthy 24.1 (it was pushing over into obese at 30).

How have I done it? Pretty much the boring old-fashioned way... I eat less calories and move more. But I have not been depriving myself - I eat a huge amount....of fruit and vegetables, supplemented with reasonable portions of lean meat and fish, eggs, pasta, rice and potatoes, and keep tabs on the little treats. Nothing is off the menu, it just has to be kept in control. I have to exercise restraint to get a healthy balance.... splurge tonight on a meal out, eat modestly the next few days.




Warning! Some serious stuff coming up.....and just possibly way, way TMI.....

My decision to adopt a healthier lifestyle is not one that is driven purely by vanity - although it is really nice having everyone telling you how good you are looking and being able to shop for nice clothes! Around this time last year, I was screened for bowel cancer. This dreadful disease took my dad away from us last year, his mom and her mom too before that, and a whole lot of others on that side of the family. With such a strong family connection, I was considered at high risk for one day developing the disease myself...so I had to undergo a colonoscopy - at the age of 37, that is quite unusual. As anyone who has ever been for one will tell you, the procedure itself is relatively pain free.... and they give you Happy Drugs! I was very chatty, apparently...

The worst part is in fact the preparation the day before... you drink a whole load of horrible salty stuff, and then you spend the next few hours... ahem... chained to the toilet. By the end of it, I was cr*pping through the eye of a needle! Fortunately I work from home. Unfortunately, I am a medical writer and I have written reports about the very medication that I was putting through its paces... or rather it was putting me through mine! So I knew exactly what was in store....

Not to dwell on that any longer, the outcome of the procedure was that the colonoscopy picked up a growth that was removed and sent for lab analysis... and it is the type that had the potential to develop into bowel cancer if left to just do its thing. So yes, my risk is a lot higher than the average person.

Butt, I'm not going to take that lying down.. well, apart from the next colonscopy that's scheduled for next year. The results of research into the causes of bowel cancer (and others!) suggest that being overweight or obese increases the risk, as does drinking too much alcohol, physical inactivity, and eating processed meats and animal fats. A diet rich in fibre, fruit and vegetables has been associated with a decreased risk. With my dodgy genes, I'm not taking any chances! I plan on keeping the weight off and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

So I won't be doing too much of this....


The Old Fat Nat

And instead keeping up with this....


I'll be eating my greens



And movin' to the beat!


Please read more about bowel cancer over here.

Never fear, faithful readers, normal broadcasting on Just Nat will resume shortly with a glimpse of my time in Cambodia earlier this year.....


20 comments:

  1. Well done, Nat! That's a fantastic achievement. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Nat, and really well done. It is not easy, but you have succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whooo Hoooo!! Congratulations Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone :-) It's this next part (keeping it off!) that will be the big challenge.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW many congratulations on the fantastic weight loss! The bowel cancel thing is scary, thank goodness you were screened and they are now keeping an eye on you. Being over 60 I get a regular check every 2 years (you know the 3 samples thingie), so far so good. My youngest son has Crohns so has to have colonoscopies regularly, not pleasant according to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear your son has to go through them often :-(

      Delete
  6. That´s great, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, you're doing so well! Keep up the healthy habits! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHOA, WELL DONE YOU! That is amazing! Can you please pass some will power on to me, the past couple months I seem to have done nothing BUT eat. Gah. Congratulations though, that is fabulous.

    And I'm so glad you did the screening thing early and caught that fucker before it could become anything, I'm so glad! I see a long and healthy future ahead for you, miss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Veg? Where have you been hiding? It's been like years... OK, months!

      Delete
  9. Good for you Nat ... happy that you have stuck
    to your resolution and done so well and that you had
    the colonoscopy over for another year.
    I am so susceptible to drugs that I can't remember a thing
    about mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. faye... the drugs DO work don't they!? Handy for erasing bad memories :-)

      Delete
  10. Awesome stuff. I also decided to change my way and iven though its slow going its getting there. I've started running and is doing my first half marathon in less than a month. I'm not nearly ready but I'm doing it even if I have to walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for your firefly! And all the best of luck for your marathon training....

      Delete
  11. Oh well done indeed Nat, you put me to shame...but you have just inspired me, starting from tomorrow I'm following your lead and will try very hard to cut out the MASSES of junk that I eat. It's wonderful that you are so pro-active in keeping yourself ahead of the game as far as the bowel cancer is concerned, sounds to me like you have a good handle on it. Positivity is definitely the way to go. Thank you so much for sharing your incredibly inspiring results.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am friggin terrified of getting cancer.

    Anyway, congrats to you. It's always so nice to meet your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sid... haven't "seen" you round these parts for a while :-)
      Cancer terrifies me too!

      Delete
  13. Nat,

    Congratulations on your weight loss and healthier life style. That is fantastic news!

    Also, it is very good you caught your growth early. Those procedures are never pleasant, but my Mother in law was diagnosed with colon cancer a few years ago. My Aunt passed away from complications following surgery for colon cancer about 3 years ago. The sad part is that if they had gotten their regular screenings then things would have turned out much better for both of them. Early detection is very important so keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Nat . . . My mouth is wide open (and not because of that nutella sitting on my counter), but for this post! You are now, officially, my healthy lifestyle hero!! (and travel hero, too? Wow!!! two hero titles for one person!!) I had no idea about the colon stuff, and am so sorry so many in your family have been taken by the terrible diseases. but I applaud your determination and will keep you in my thoughts always. Hug, my friend.

    ReplyDelete