Saturday, 9 June 2012

Delightful Dubrovnik

Our trip to Croatia did not get off to the best start.... stuck in Heathrow traffic on the M25 (known locally as The World's Biggest Parking Lot), the clock ticking rapidly towards that infamous "Gates closed for boarding" hour!

But luckily we made it just in time, and swapped this....


Photo source: PA


For this.....


City beach - Dubrovnik



Hotel pool - unfortunately absolutely freezing, as was the Adriatic sea!



Dubrovnik Old Town and Harbour seen from the top of Mount Srd



Cable car - Mount Srd



Rooftops, seen from the Old City Walls



Old City Walls







Stradun - Dubrovnik's main drag



Clock Tower - Stradun



Orlando's Column - Stradun



Onofrio's Little Fountain - Stradun



Cafe culture



The Harbour at dusk







Old Town by night











 Rector's Palace



Church of St Blaise







One of many Italian gelato shops. Enough said!



Just in case anyone is wondering why Italian ice cream is so common in Croatia!



15 comments:

  1. Dear Nat - lovely photos, I really think Dubrovnik is one of the beautiful cities of the world. We were surprised at how well the city had been restored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rosemary! It is quite amazing how recently the city was damaged in the Croatian War of Independence (early 1990s) and yet it so beautifully restored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful tour...
    my dear you do go to the most amazing places...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother in law is from Bosnia and tells me constantly about he beautiful beaches here, wow your pictures confirm. Thanks for whisking me away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!! Finally I can say I've been somewhere where you've been! My Husband and I went and picked up our son who spent two years there. He's fluent in Croatian and was a perfect tour guide!

    Your pictures bring back amazing memories thanks for sharing!!1

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adored Croatia...still one of the best trips I've ever done!
    Dubrovnik is magical... We also went to Korcula - just incredible!
    Thanks for bringing back the memories
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know how to make a girl jealous, don't you? Absolutely glorious pictures! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tour! Daytime and night time pictures are all gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful place! Italian gelato is also popular in malaysia nowadays...

    ReplyDelete
  10. From what I hear Croatia is not just a beautiful destination but also affordable? Is that correct?

    The place truly is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Firefly
      Croatia is a lot more affordable to visit than some other European countries as it is not on the Euro currency. It is indeed beautiful!

      Delete
  11. I'm actually trying to convince my bf to travel to Croatia with me someday! I think these pictures just may entice him to go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous trip Nat, and i didn't even have to get on a plane..bliss, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nat, these are just wonderful photos. I have had Croatia on my list for years, and these photos are just stunning. So how do you go from city to city if you want to visit the coastal areas? Do you rent a car or take a train or a boat? Your photos just make me want to drop everything and GO!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genie
      We flew into Dubrovnik and just explored the city on foot, staying in a hotel close to the city walls. For the trip to the Elafiti islands, we took a cruise from the harbour. I think the bus connections are good between towns (we didn't venture far!) or else car hire is an option.

      Delete