Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Things I Loved About Lille....


Our hotel, the original 19th century grand hotel of Lille....



The streets of Vieux Lille at night....








The Belfry on the Commerce Building...






Macaroons!



Coffee and gaufres foures (waffles filled with vanilla cream) at Pâtisserie Meert, Lille's finest tea salon dating from 1761....




The details on the shop and restaurant facades....











Shuttered alleyways....


Random graffiti....



More on these and much more to come!

.....

The trip to Lille was to celebrate me reaching the grand old age of 38...with a full head of hair, more teeth than the average person and in reasonably sound mind!

15 comments:

  1. Hello Nat:
    Sadly, although we have passed through Lille on many occasions, we have never stopped to admire the view. Clearly, from what you show here, we should rectify this situation without delay. The tea salon alone is definitely reason enough to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those are stunning pictures. I just love the cobblestone streets. It's sad that they don't do that kind of architecture anymore, like it's a dying art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am envious. I would love to see those sights in person. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures such a lovely place. I love the shuttered windows and cobblestone streets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks totally beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing those things you love. I think I love them too! I especially loved the colorful shutters and the night shots you took.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful... I love all these shots
    and the foodie ones remind me I need to have a
    snack before settling into work.

    oooh and those night street scenes... love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I wish I was walking those streets with you

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been to Lille but your photos are gorgeous and so compelling. The details and signs of the old buildings are fascinating and so clever... love the huitres and the shell!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmm, macaroons!

    SP

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH what wonderful memories of a city in France I've not seen. Thank you for taking me along on this trip! I see a few tasty treats I'd like to try as well.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your posts always make me want to travel so badly! I've never been to continental Europe. My husband is going to Italy for work next month...I wish that I could go with him!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The grand old age of 38 you say hey Nat..haha! you're still a 'spring chicken'. Wonderful pictures of Lille, looks like you enjoyed yourself a lot,looking forward to seeing more!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's good to see the clock is still there! Lovely photos, it looks like you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete