I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street, I met a man who had no feet.
Ancient Persian Saying
Depending on how often you swing by here to read this
With the way things were going yesterday, I was in two minds about heading out to our regular Thursday evening Aikido class. Fully expecting to break an ankle, acquire a black eye or have someone crash land their fat ass on my head (again!)... and all that before I’d even gotten out of the parking lot and into the sports centre... I was pleasantly surprised to have a really good class.
I could actually grasp the techniques being taught fairly easily, Sensei did not haul me up in front of the class to show up my ineptness (under the guises of “demonstrating” what needs doing) and the aerobic exercise was doing me a world of good.
Towards the end of the class, it became apparent that one of the guys (Sweaty Man*) was not feeling too well. I’d actually spoken to him at the start of class, as he hadn’t been for a while and I wondered if he’d been away on holiday... he had in fact been ill with a rather nasty inner ear infection (labyrinthitis), that had kept him bedbound for weeks. Sweaty Man was taking strain and went to sit out at the side and drink some water, but he was clearly not right.....
Slurred speech, loss of the use of his right arm, his face seemed droopy on one side.... alarm bells started ringing! These are the classic symptoms of stroke!
B charged off to call an ambulance and paramedics were on the scene within minutes. They checked Sweaty Man over and said it was almost certainly a recurrence of his labyrinthitis (the symptoms are almost identical!), but they would take him into hospital for observation.
In the meantime, some of us were going through the emergency contact numbers we’ve all had to provide, thinking someone should let his wife know... but before anyone could pick up the phone, Sensei told us quietly that Sweaty Man had split up from his wife a few weeks’ back so perhaps she was not the best person to call.
Poor bloke! His marriage is breaking down and he has some serious health issues... he really is having a bad time. Kind of made my little problems of porridge exploding in the microwave and clients being their usual annoying selves seem...well, quite trivial and pathetic, really.
Sensei accompanied Sweaty Man to the hospital... and was thankfully able to report later that Sweaty Man had recovered, that it was indeed his ear problem giving him hassles. So, all’s well that ends well, and today is Friday!




Well as the old saying goes, "Just when you think you have it bad, someone else has it worse."
ReplyDeleteGlad your day ended on a good note and I'm glad Sweaty Man will be fine...except for his recent split from his wife...
Yep! Great words...
ReplyDeleteThis is why I'm thankful for every darn thing I have. Including my health!
Glad your day ended better than it started. Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteYour nicknames are cracking me up! But, your lessson is one we all need to hear. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteJust read yesterdays post about y'know the 'thing' days like that are a pain, but as you say something will usually happen to put everything back into perspective, glad things are back on track Nat.
ReplyDeleteOh goodness, what a way to put your life into perspective! I'm so relieved to hear he's ok! Hopefully his luck will pick up soon - it does sound like such an incredibly rough time he's having. x
ReplyDeleteI love those moments that allow us to put things into perspective - there's always someone who has it worse! And so glad Sweaty Man is ok!
ReplyDeleteGlad the day ended better than it began.
ReplyDeleteIt does put things into perspective.
Hope your weekend was fantastic..
chill time galore !!
Poor Sweaty Man! First he has a horrible name NOW a faux stroke! But kudos to you for doing something about it just in case. Poor guy.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure I want to know about Get a Pedicure Man.
It felt as a relief to read the last sentence in which you stated he was ok. Good to hear.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, did you take the photos (plane, sun) yourself? Have they been photoshopped, or are they real?
HI! What an incredibly wonderful blog!! And this post is super-true! I was just thinking about this same thing as I was standing in the grocery line the other day. I MAY be annoyed by the annoying person who seems to be extremely CRANKY with the teller....but I have NO IDEA what has just gone on in her day/week!:)
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the comments, everyone :-)
ReplyDelete@The Lazy Photographer... unfortunately I can't take credit for those photos (source is now up!). I tend to include a Photography label in posts that include my photos and try and link back to others' work where possible.
@Nat OK, thanks!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know that labyrinthitis produced the same symptoms as a stroke! That must have been scary, glad sweaty man recovered.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting me and taking the time to comment. :)
Poor man! I hope he'll be alright. I know the feeling of stressful events happening one after the other. This once again confirms the theory that life is like a zebra. Sooner or later, the white stripe is bound to come.
ReplyDelete