Monday, 29 August 2011

On The Origin Of Darwin






Born in Shrewsbury on the 12th February 1809, Charles Darwin is Shropshire’s most famous son...recently voted as one of the greatest Britons. Darwin’s love and curiosity of the natural world was positively encouraged and flourished while he lived in Shrewsbury until he was 27.

Quite naturally, there are reminders of Darwin almost everywhere you look in Shrewbury....


Statue outside the town's library (formerly Shrewsbury School, attended by Darwin)


Darwin Gate Sculpture


Quantum Leap sculpture from the Darwin Bicentenary





















Darwin Graffiti



PS: Photos were taken on a quick trip to Shrewsbury, on a break from Aikido Summer School

9 comments:

  1. The Quantum Leap sculpture is fantastic Nat, from every angle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This the Quantum Leap sculpture is amazing! One day I will paint a Darwin Graffiti too ( a naughty one).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nat:
    Whilst we know Shrewsbury reasonably well from our time of living in North Herefordshire, we were not aware of the Darwin connection until now. This is all most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Quantum Leap sculpure is amazing! Darwin sure helped give us all a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nat, are you a Salopian now.

    All the sights of Shrewsbury you show us are favourites of mine too, particularly the new corkscrew thingy over the river by the equally new theatre.

    We greet Darwin's statue every time we have reason to visit Shrewsbury School.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Nat - thank you for becoming a follower on my blog, and I am happy to do likewise on your blog.
    I am loving this post, having just written about the Darwin Family myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post reminds me of how happy I am when I see a fish bumper sticker and it says Darwin:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, you guys have the coolest stuff over there! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Darwin, he was not accepted for his outrageous views in his time... nice to see this monument to a great yet humble man.

    ReplyDelete