Sunday, 20 March 2011

Spring Has Sprung!

It's official...spring is here! And it even says so on the calendar...

The sun has been shining, the evenings are getting lighter and the bulbs are blooming.


Symbolising rebirth and new beginnings, the daffodil is virtually synonymous with spring.  Though their botanic name is Narcissus, daffodils are sometimes called jonquils, and in England, because of their long association with Lent, they’re known as the “Lent Lily.”  


Lore connecting the daffodil to not only a sign of winter’s end but a lucky emblem of future prosperity is found throughout the world. In Wales, it’s said if you spot the first daffodil of the season, your next 12 months will be filled with wealth, and Chinese legend has it that if a daffodil bulb is forced to bloom during the New Year, it will bring good luck to your home.


 A gift of daffodils is said to ensure happiness.  But always remember to present daffodils in a bunch – the same legends that associate this cheerful flower with good fortune warn us that when given as a single bloom, a daffodil can foretell misfortune.



Hope your weekends have been good!

16 comments:

  1. I love, love, love daffodils! Thank you!!!

    Happy First Day of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this lovely post. Daffodils are my favorite flower. Mine are not in bloom yet. The top photo is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers and commentary..
    I am terrible at naming flowers and
    especially trying to have a garden.

    So far only a few azaleas are in bloom..
    I know about those because my mom has a
    yard full of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember in primary school we had to grow daffodils from bulbs. I was so excited when I finally got a yellow flower. Of course, now I'm better at killing plant life just by existing in the same space as it. I seem to stop photosynthesis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea for Spring! I just love daffodils.. :)

    -nicolette

    http://www.simplycolette.blogspot.com
    http://www.photographygetaways.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pics, Nat! I have a few daffodils as well but, being in Indiana (where Mother Nature tends to forget to take her meds) mine bloom very late. Makes me even more glad (And less of an angry girl) to see these today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! I learned a lot about daffodils today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous images! Yes nothing says spring like daffodils. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are moving into winter again. Can't wait as the hot days were nice, but missing the hot chocolate and curry nights now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely daffodils I like that shade of yellow very much

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooo . . . I am LOVING the new header - I think a little "Wow!" popped out of me when your blog loaded on my screen. LOVE the photos - you are just too cool! The daffodils are GORGEOUS! Ours are just peeking above ground, but this post gives me hope that they soon will be visiting us, in all their glory. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. At last spring is here, I was beginning to think it would never arrive :)

    Your photos of the daffodils are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to thank you for visiting me at Georgina's blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! Thank goodness for spring :) & thanks deary for the award :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good pictures of daffodils are hard to capture. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete