Saturday, 19 March 2011

Bad Moon Rising?

I saw a Full Moon rising tonight….a huge orange orb that seemed so big and close that I felt that I could almost reach out and touch it. Not quite though…although slightly closer than normal, it’s still over 220,000 miles from Earth! Tonight’s Moon is a “Super Moon" - the Moon appears at its biggest and brightest in almost 20 years.



There has been a lot of hype surrounding the lunar phenomenon, with some people claiming that disaster will trail in its wake. Some were warning of earthquakes and volcanoes caused by the Super Moon, weeks before the catastrophic Japanese earthquake and tsunami struck.

The Full Moon does create higher tides because of gravitational pull… however, Super Moons happen all the time. When the Moon orbits closer to Earth it is called a Perigee and when its orbit is the farthest from Earth (about 254,000 miles) it is called the Apogee. The Moon will continue to approach closer and farther, depending on where it is on the orbit around Earth. The term "Super Moon" was invented to describe the location of the orbit in proximity to Earth, which gives a slightly larger and brighter than normal appearance to the Moon.

It was definitely worth taking a look upwards… times like these I wish I had a far more sophisticated camera!





........

I see the bad moon arising.
I see trouble on the way.
I see earthquakes and lightnin'.
I see bad times today.

Don't go around tonight,
Well, it's bound to take your life,
There's a bad moon on the rise.

I hear hurricanes ablowing.
I know the end is coming soon.
I fear rivers over flowing.
I hear the voice of rage and ruin.

Hope you got your things together.
Hope you are quite prepared to die.
Looks like we're in for nasty weather.
One eye is taken for an eye.
Creedence Clearwater Revival

6 comments:

  1. The photos are awesome, Nat. I think ours may be obscured by clouds tonight. Also, it came up at 11 AM here supposedly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be looking for it tonight, it's been partially cloudy here today, we'll see what tonight brings..

    I love a full moon although Creedence Clearwater might be on to something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post Nat ...
    I was thinking along the same lines..
    Bad Moon Rising.... it was spectacular !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing about the supermoon. I did not notice it and knows nothing about it.It has been raining heavily here for more than a week when it's supposed to be dry season. Since last week, we have a drastic change in the weather. Maybe it has something to do with the moon too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So now that's it later, I went out to see the supermoon and WOW is it ever! It's also pretty bright out..would make for a great late night hike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! You got to see it! I was a hermit and only saw Friday's mini full moon. These are great photos of the hype! Bad Moon Rising, indeed! hehe

    ReplyDelete