Monday, 7 March 2011

Mind Your Head!

This past weekend, I was up in Yorkshire, and had the chance to visit the White Scar Cave, part of a network of caves under Ingleborough hill in the Chapel-le-Dale valley of the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

Discovered in August, 1923 by two amateur geologists, Christopher Long and J.H. Churchill, White Scar Cave is the longest show cave in Britain. Visitors to the caves walk through an artificially enlarged fissure to meet a natural stream passage - containing underground waterfalls, stalactites, stalagmites, flowstones and other natural limestone formations.

Underground waterfall

Copper deposits

Limestone formations





The curious cave formations include the Devil's Tongue....



The Witch's Fingers.....


The Squeeze.... the narrowest part of the cave...


Not to mention this....er... rather phallic symbol....



The tour culminates in the impressive Battlefield Cavern, which is a huge boulder-strewn cavern that was formed by glacial flood waters during the last Ice Age, and is decorated with thousands of straw stalactites. Battlefield Cavern is one of the largest known caverns in Britain with a length of over 330 feet (100 metres) and a roof soaring in places to 100 feet (30 metres).

Unfortunately, photography is no longer permitted in the Battlefield Cavern, so I don’t have any of my own photographs to show, but here is someone else’s...

Photo of Battlefield Cavern from here

We were kitted out in flattering (not!) red hardhats... a very necessary accessory I discovered, as I must have hit my head at least 20 times on the low sections of the cave... places where it became necessary to explore Evolution In Reverse (walking like a gorilla!).
 
The low roof was not such a problem for this little visitor...


 
Hope you all had interesting weekends!

9 comments:

  1. Whoa, what an awesome cave. Those Witches fingers are gnarly and that devils tongue, eeek!
    Seriously though, what a great attraction!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I've been to several caves and caverns and have always been amazed by them!
    very nice Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I had an interesting weekend, but now feel it was no where near as interesting as yours! Although, I think I've become a little claustrophobic in my old age of 39 - and even these photos have left me with the need to open a window. Really cool adventure, though, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This place is very interesting and quite beautiful. I could never enjoy being in a cave. I find them very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great captures. I get a little too
    claustrophobic at times and caves
    make me nervous...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's crazy stuff. I love caves and things. A couple of summers ago I visited an old deserted mine in Alberta and saw lots of weird scary wall growths and things. Fascinating though. Plus I got to wear a helmet hat and overalls. Hee.

    Great photos as always miss. The first one looks like something out of "Lost".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've missed reading you Nat! These are fantabulous as ever :) The mini hardhat brought a smile to my face.
    Hope you're having a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa, that is fascinating and beautiful. Thanks for sharing with this claustrophobic reader!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a little claustrophobic in parts...great toning exercise though, having to walk bent double :-)

    ReplyDelete