Monday, 29 November 2010

But Seriously...




I’m saddened to learn that one of my favourite comedy actors of all time, Leslie Nielsen, passed away yesterday at the age of 84. He was truly the master of the deadpan...able to say absurd lines while keeping his face as straight as the Sphinx’s.

Here are just a few examples, taken from his most popular films, Airplane! (in which he played passenger Dr Rumack) and the Naked Gun series (in which he played the bumbling detective Lt Frank Drebin).

Frank: It's the same old story. Boy finds girl, boy loses girl, girl finds boy, boy forgets girl, boy remembers girl, girl dies in a tragic blimp accident over the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day.
Jane: Goodyear?
Frank: No, the worst.
The Naked Gun: From the files of Police Squad, 1988




Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?
Ted Striker [a qualified pilot who hasn’t flown in years]: Surely you can't be serious.
Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.
Airplane!, 1980




Rumack: I won't deceive you, Mr. Striker. We're running out of time.
Ted Striker: Surely there must be something you can do.
Rumack: I'm doing everything I can... and stop calling me Shirley!
Airplane!, 1980


Frank: Now, Jane, what can you tell us about the man you saw last night?
Jane: He's Caucasian.
Ed: Caucasian?
Jane: Yeah, you know, a white guy. A moustache. About six-foot-three.
Frank: Awfully big moustache.
The Naked Gun: From the files of Police Squad, 1988




[Jane Spencer climbs a ladder]
Frank [standing underneath]: Nice beaver!
Jane: [producing a stuffed beaver] Thank you. I just had it stuffed.
The Naked Gun: From the files of Police Squad, 1988
 
Frank: That's the red-light district. I wonder why Savage is hanging around down there.
Ed: Sex, Frank?
Frank: Uh, no, not right now, Ed.
The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear, 1991



 
R.I.P. Shirley....I mean Leslie.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's sad to see them go, but at least we have their movies to remember them by!

    He was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely you jest!
    Very sad, one of my favorites also...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Some awesome lines there.

    Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is my favourite comedy actor too. He really made people laugh. May he rest in peace..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED Leslie Nielsen . . . he will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, very sad. I think he is my all-time favourite!!

    ReplyDelete