Andalusia is famous for the White Villages (Los Pueblos Blancos)... the villages that try to keep cool in the long hot summer by whitewashing their houses every spring.
Many of these villages were founded by Berber tribes who settled the area during the eight centuries of Moorish presence. They were hill farmers and the land that they settled in Andalucia was similar to that which they had left behind in North Africa. Because of the constant threat of attack - the Reconquest was bound to come sooner or later - they chose sites which were high and easy to defend.
Algamitas
Setenil de la Bodegas
Possibly the most unique pueblo blanco is Setenil de las Bodegas, a town that grew out of a network of caves in the cliffs above the rio Trejo, north-west of Ronda. The blinding white houses seem to grow out of the rocks, some homes even have rock roofs and olive groves on top....
Setenil de la Bodegas
Setenil de la Bodegas
I loved exploring the steep, winding streets....
And peeking inside the beautiful, tiled hallways of the houses, with their doors left ajar...
Or sipping a drink in the traditional bars, like this one....
A world away from Sin City!
All drinks were one euro... cafe con leche (white coffee), cola or cervisia (beer)... it's a good system!
And in amongst all those white houses, the odd brightly coloured one...
goodness me, i would just love to travel to these places! I just love these houses, they are just so beautiful
ReplyDeleteOh wow this place sounds incredible - I would love to visit sometime! the photos are beautiful xx
ReplyDeletehttp://pagesixxx.blogspot.com/
This was fascinating, and I love the photos. I don't know if everyone realizes how difficult is is to photograph WHITE (especially in bright sunlight) and make it look pretty, but you did it!
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone :)
ReplyDeleteThis was so well written. And I love how you captured the open door, that is such a staple.
ReplyDeleteI just love all those white houses. So beautiful and thanks to you for sharing such lovely photos.
ReplyDeletethis place look and sounds amazing! would love ti visit it someday :)
ReplyDeletehttp://popsicle-dress.blogspot.com
What beautiful photos ... I feel like I'm traveling to great far away places when I stop by here, and I just love that feeling! Thank you for taking us along on some wonderful adventures!
ReplyDeleteI love photo tours!
ReplyDeletegreat photos of a fantastic area...makes me want to go...