Friday, 5 November 2010

There Will Be Fireworks

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

The 'Gunpowder Plot' conspirators


Across Britain tonight, folks are commemorating the foiled Gunpowder Plot with fireworks and bonfires, culminating with the burning of effigies of Guy Fawkes. But are we celebrating Fawkes' execution or honouring his attempt to do away with the government?




Either way, it promises to be a rather soggy event this year as it’s bucketing down outside! So, rather than hang around all night in some cold, wet, muddy field waiting for a couple of damp squibs to fizzle out, I’ve been perusing my photo archives to bring you some amazing photos of fireworks from the cosy comfort of my couch….amazing purely because it’s incredible that I actually got these shots without freezing to death (they were taken last New Years’ Eve, in Norway, in the snow, in a bracing -40°C….you get the picture, I suffered to get these photos!)




I do love fireworks! As a child, they thrilled me….beautiful lights and loud bangs, a kind of magic. Fireworks were a precious commodity, not easy to come by in Zimbabwe…so pyrotechnics shows were a rare event, reserved for very special occasions, like the closing ceremony of the annual Agricultural Show. Tickets to attend such a show were in high demand, and consequently came with a steep price tag. 




But my budget-conscious dad had other ideas. Why pay for a fireworks display when you can watch it for free….after all, most of the action is taking place up in the sky? So, along with many other like-minded families, we would find a good vantage point to park the car in the fields outside the show grounds and enjoy the spectacular show unfolding above our windscreen. 







One such night, the freebie fireworks show was almost over when my dad suddenly spotted a uniformed policeman coming towards our car. Convinced that he was coming over to “have a word” (yes, because it’s totally illegal to watch fireworks from outside the arena), my dad immediately started up the car and started reversing away…but in his haste, he didn’t spot a VERY large hole in the ground behind us. 

THUMP! One of the rear wheels rolled into the hole and we were stuck. No amount of revving the engine was going to get us out of that! My brother and I got out and started struggling to push the car out of the hole…luckily we were given a helping hand by the “policeman” who turned out to be a security guard from the show grounds, on his way home.




Hope your weekends sparkle!

7 comments:

  1. Such wonderful photos ... the story of the car falling into the hole was just too much! Made me laugh out loud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fireworks photos..
    not an easy capture for me,
    but I still keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so that was funny! What is it about a uniform that gets us all paranoid.

    Every year at the fair grounds our city has a fourth of July fireworks show. It's crowded and crazy down there..We watch the show from a hillside right out our door, It's great, no traffic to contend with when it's over. We just turn around and head inside!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is it about fireworks and doing away with the British government? :-) Nice fireworks shots, Nat. I love them too! And I think it's always fun to photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool photos! We celebrate GuyFawkes too, I missed the fireworks though since it started to get chilly and rainy so I went home before they did them x

    http://pagesixxx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for your comments :)

    I didn't mention in my post that the following year my uncle took us to watch the freebie fireworks...one loud bang went off, but then we waited and waited for more. "Just a bunch of damp squibs, if you ask me" my uncle moaned.
    Turned out some mad man had shot a woman under cover of the first loud bang...and the show was delayed while the police arrived to take witness statements...not such a pleasant memory!

    ReplyDelete