Tuesday, 5 January 2010

10 Things I Learnt In Norway

1. There is nothing as heart (and stomach) warming as a bowl of soup after spending 5 hours at Heathrow, followed by a 2-hour flight to Oslo and a 4-hour bus ride in the dark to our final destination. Similarly, nothing tastes as good as hot chocolate and freshly baked cinnamon buns besides the open fire of a little wooden cabin after 4 hours’ trekking through snow.

2. Taxidermy may be a “dying art” elsewhere, but it’s alive and well in the wilds of Norway, as represented by the assortment of stuffed animals (including a polar bear, a couple of brown bears, several foxes, deer, a wolf, a lynx, a duck with ducklings and various birds of prey) on display in the Rondablikk høyfjellshotell.

3. Walking 5 km on (yes on!) two left snow shoes is a sure bet for blisters from hell and a knackered knee to boot.

4. Got that sinking feeling? It’s probably coz you’re sinking to waist depth in soft snow....now try dig your way out!
5. Tobogganing is brilliant fun....until you have to walk back up the hill dragging your sled behind you.

6. I am seriously crap at cross country skiing...but the boots and skiis are a load more user friendly than the instruments of torture reserved for the downhill version.

7. At the top of a snowy mountain, in -40°C temperatures, with a harsh wind blowing, icicles hanging from your eyelashes and out of your nose, the only thought going through your head is..... “What the frik am I doing up here when I could be on a beach in the Maldives?”
8. Dogsledding is not for the fainthearted and Siberian huskies are wild (and very flatulent) running machines....unrestrained, they’ll run until they drop dead of exhaustion.

9. A sauna is a brilliant antidote to cold, aching muscles... and Norwegians sauna in the nude.

10. After experiencing -40°C, the UK feels positively tropical at a balmy -2°C.



9 comments:

  1. This is Norway? Are you serious? Totally envious? Never ever thought that the idea of a vacation in snow would make me envious but I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sid - I'm developing a strange habit of spending New Year in winter wonderlands...last year it was Transylvannia, a chilly -19C. Lots of fun in the deep snow, provided you have good thermal undies :-)

    Would love to go back to Norway in the summer, when it's all lush and warm and daylight for almost 24 hours....

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are some outstanding pictures...

    living in New York, i have never really experienced a countryside like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Slyde!

    I'd love to see New York some day....sure there are some spectacular city scape views to be taken there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooow

    I thought we were snowy in Hampshire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. What a holiday!

    We had a hot and sticky Christmas. It's good to be home at 26C and a storm brewing!

    I see you've got into the blogging thing lately - took me a while to catch up! Keep it up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anal fissures??? Flabbergasted

    ReplyDelete
  8. UG...the difference is, Norway does snow well :-)

    Hey Saffa! Good to hear from you again...

    Sid, I'll have to elaborate one day....suffice to say, I once spent 3 months on a work project, writing about AFs (and the treatment thereof) every day! Bit of a bum job...

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS This post actually has nothing to do with AFs... they're not a consequence of sitting on the snow for too long!

    ReplyDelete