Getting painstakingly handwritten letters in the post from my nieces to say “thank you soooo much for the beautiful Christmas presents”
As an adult, it is very heart-warming to receive such polite little notes, but I can remember writing them as a child...sometimes doing so under duress and the threat of not getting any gifts the following year. Come to think of it, I would have gladly avoided some of the lousy presents one of my less inspired aunts always sent me....I distinctly remember getting a nasty, brown, plastic toilet bag at about the age of 7, and a couple of crotchet covered coat hangers the year after. While the shops in Zimbabwe weren’t exactly heaving with pretty trinkets those days, I reckon she could have managed something with a bit more wow factor. I always keep those lacklustre presents in mind when I’m gift shopping for my nieces and goddaughters.....they stop sending me thank you notes, and I may just have to start perusing the novelty knitted toilet roll covers aisle at Tesco.
Watching the weather reports on TV and seeing the usually-ignored presenters positively bristle with self-importance
Suddenly everyone is avidly watching the weather forecast for new developments. Well guess what everyone, it’s snowing...again! The novelty has somewhat worn off after 3 weeks of the white stuff, but the media are still milking the story. We’re told this is the coldest winter in 20/30/50/100 years (it’s jumping a decade or two every day) and the newspaper headlines scream “Frozen Britain!”....“We’re Living In a Deep Freeze!”...”Polar Bears and Penguins Migrating To Warmer Climes!”...“Ice Age 3 Now Here!”....oh no, that last one's a DVD on sale. People have been panic buying cat litter....apparently for when the shops run out of food (or maybe to use as a de-icer on their driveways, I’m not sure).
Going for a walk across snowy fields and coming across a dog and his owner out for Walkies in matching tartan coats
Pampered pooch... a world away from the hard life of a Siberian husky. No less frequent in the bowel movement department, however, judging from the little brown trail spoiling the otherwise pure white path.
Dunking a chocolate-coated, chocolate chip cookie into my mug of hot chocolate and wondering if it’s in any way possible to add any more chocolate into that cocoa-rich combo
Yeah, the New Years’ diet is going really well...about as well as it goes every year. Blame it on my boss for giving us all Christmas hampers bursting with goodies that are all going to expire...within the next 12 months. We’re trying to keep some in reserve...for when we run out of cat litter.
Overhearing the following line from the Star Trek DVD... McCoy: [to Spock] Are you out of your Vulcan mind?
And I am definitely NOT a Star Trek fan.
No comments:
Post a Comment