Sunday, 27 May 2012

A Photo Tour Of The Mekong Delta




Of all the places I visited in Vietnam, I was especially intrigued by the Mekong Delta region. Known as Vietnam’s ‘rice basket’, it is predominantly a watery landscape of green fields and riverside villages, everywhere crisscrossed by the brown canals and rivulets fed by the mighty Mekong River. It is an area that naturally lends itself to exploration by boat, a chance to observe daily river life….











Floating fuel station


Taking a dip




First stop, a coconut candy and rice snack cottage industry....


 Coconut candy making


 Popped rice snacks


Rice paper making


Then, onto a brick making factory, where the rich Mekong clay is extruded into bricks and baked...








 Kiln










Back onboard the boat for some refreshing coconut milk....




A lovely bunch of coconuts


And a whole boatload of lovely coconuts!


A short ride through the narrow canals on a small rowing boat....









On to Can Tho for the night....


Ho Chi Minh statue in Can Tho


And an early morning start to see the colourful fruit and vegetable floating market....



























Next up.... getting 'Templed Out' In Vietnam

11 comments:

  1. Visitors to your blog should definitely click on to your photos. When doing so the details are fantastic. What a thrilling trip. I love the way you have caught that women bailing out with the water flying up in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary - I wish I could display the photos as larger size but that is their maximum for my blog template, so hopefully people will click on them to get the details :-)

      Delete
  2. Love the pics, it's very interesting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a massive coconut-laden boat, I'm amazed it stays afloat!
    Gorgeous pictures, love the brick factory, it looks almost futuristic. The girl with the hat is such a beauty, she looks so peaceful & serene. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great group of photos! thanks so much for the photo tour and narrative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! It's strange to see that towering church behind the river banks. This looks like a city of boats. The gal getting ready to wheel those bricks, that rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its amazing how these people "live" on the river like this. Its part of their lives like roads are to us. More than that actually. I bet you are really enjoying the experience of seeing the culture

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to visit here one day- it is on the short list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all your info and photo's. Even though I am a travel agent, I have not been everywhere, and these posts make my life a bit easier. Vietnam is still on my bucket list. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow . . . Just wow . . . These were awesome. I love the photos of people going about their lives and doing their thing. Are they used to tourists taking photos of them? Or do they at all get frustrated by photos? I just love these, Nat. I was talking with my sister about your trip last week, and pulled up your blog to share your photos with her. We both were lost in your holiday for quite some time. Thanks for sharing! .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably get sick of tourists... I try and be discrete from a distance or ask if it's in close range :-)

      Delete