Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Hoi An, I Think I Love You...

Perhaps I am just a dumb tourist, but of all the places we visited in Vietnam.... Hoi An was my favourite by far! It's relaxed feel, charming old buildings, restaurants and endless shops filled with gorgeous silks just won my heart.

It seemed like the restful holiday bit of the tour, sandwiched between the bustling cities of Hanoi and Saigon. Possibly, this was because we stayed in the fabulous Hoi An Riverside Resort, on the banks of the Song Do River.....


Song Do River


Restaurant and bar


Accommodation


Resort pool





Exotic fruit breakfast



Private beach, a short shuttle trip away


The resort was just a quick taxi ride from Hoi An Ancient Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site...

















Hoi An is particularly pretty in the evening....







I developed a bit of an obsession with lanterns....













The Old Quarter is home to the Japanese Bridge (16th to 17th Century)....










And just loads of shops selling lovely things...












Hoi An is a town full of expert tailors... I had two evening dresses made to measure in under 24 hours, delivered to my hotel, B had an exceptionally sharp suit and shirt made, and I could have easily bought a dozen other outfits but restrained myself to two shirts and two pairs of trousers!




Next up... A Cookery Class in Hoi An




25 comments:

  1. Hoi An I think I LOVE YOU! Nat these pictures are beautiful that resort looks so tranquil and relaxing and that breakfast RULES!!!! Are those lychee in those prickle shells, I have never seen anything like that!!!I can see why this place was a favorite. The lanterns give the city a magical feel at night and I would love to have them all over my deck making me linger out there longer on those warm summer nights.

    I want to see the dresses you had made, I can't believe they were done in less than 24 hours, were they expensive? I am totally enjoying these photos please keep em coming!

    XOXO
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Krista
      I'll try and post pics of the dresses soon :-) Wish I'd bought some lanterns too...

      Delete
  2. Amazing place. Love the photos..
    really get a feel for the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks faye... I took 100s of photos, as just around every corner there was some thing that caught my eye!

      Delete
  3. Looks wonderful, and you treated yourself to some new clothes to enhance your new figure? The lanterns, and kites are lovely. It all looks magical and exotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary
      I did indeed... and being in Vietnam I lost a bit more weight too, so the dresses are a good fit :-)

      Delete
  4. Such nice pics - and that fruit makes me drool! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks tinajo - watermelon, passion fruit, dragon fruit and rambutans, which are a lot like lychee.

      Delete
  5. A stunning combination of nature, history, culture and people. Very interesting looking fruit plate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you purchase some lanterns? It all looks marvelous - except for those things on the plate that look like hairy eyeballs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I contemplated buying some but decided to get some silk cushion covers instead!
      The hairy eyeballs are quite tasty... a lot like lychee :-)

      Delete
  7. Welcome home, Nat! What wonderful pictures. Vietnam looks so clean and orderly in contrast to the ramshackle chaos of India. Your accommodation was beautiful and I'm with you on the pretty lighting and lanterns. The fruit looks so exotic and delicious, too.
    Dying to see the dresses you had made. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Vix :-) Hoi An was possibly more orderly than some of the other places we visited... there it was organised chaos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! These photos are amazing Nat! Such a beautiful place. I have to admit that I'm a bit envious of you. It looks like the old town hasn't changed much, but there is much that has changed. Maybe someday, I'll make it back there. Thanks for the posts, they take me back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat :-) I think you would enjoy going back...

      Delete
  10. Wow so amazing! And your exotic breakfast looks simply too yummy)

    >'.'<

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing place. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back Nat, wonderful images from your Vietnam trip, it looks amazing there. Everyone I know has been and loved it, I really shouldn't let my fear of flying stop me from going! The picture of the Japanese bridge is fascinating, to think of how long it's been there is mind boggling! Looking forward to more of your holiday shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace
      I also hate flying but I just have to keep thinking of the destination to keep going :-)

      Delete
  13. Welcome home ;-)

    Colour me jealous. Vietnam is on my shortlist of places to visit. You know, when the kids are grown, or something like that! God I miss travelling.

    Cool photos. What camera are you using, and which lenses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Saffa
      Still using a compact Canon Ixus 990IS... I keep thinking of upgrading to an SLR or something else a bit more sophisticated but a) too expensive and I rather spend the cash travelling b) I like the easy point and shoot from the hip capacity that a compact gives me :-)

      Delete
  14. Oh I love, I love, I love these photos. Beautiful moments caught and shared. Oh, how I love the lanterns, too. Did you bring any home? What color? Do tell us all about it. Such a wonderful experience. The architecture is breathtaking. How did you do communicating? How challenging was it for you? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete