Magnificent Halong Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is spread across a 1500 sq km area, with over 2000 pinnacle-shaped limestone and dolomite outcrops scattered across it. Legend tells of how the bay was formed when a gigantic dragon (ha long means 'descending dragon') plunged into the Gulf of Tonkin, lashing its tail and thereby creating the islands.
An overnight cruise from Halong City is the perfect way to take in the sights of Halong Bay, easily reached from Hanoi....
Port at Halong City
Our cruise boat
Dining galley
Comfy cabin
En suite bathroom
Unfortunately, the weather was a bit dull and overcast during our cruise - I think changing my photos to black and white works better... click on any photo to enlarge as a slideshow.
Kayaking is a great way to explore the isolated coves....
Next up.... a tour of Hang Sung Sot (Cave of Awe) in Halong Bay

Oh my what a wonderful trip!! Cruising is one of my favorite ways of traveling. I love the all you can eat, the entertainment, and of course the scenery!!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos Nat, thanks for sharing your trip!!!
Thanks Saimi :-) I've never been on a proper cruise - so this was a good introduction...
DeleteABSOLUTELY FABULOUS !!
ReplyDeleteOut of this world photos with lovely geological structures coming out of the water
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pics and I love the cabin! :-)
ReplyDeleteCave of Awe sums it up perfectly! What an incredibly tranquil place made even more perfect with the stunning black adn white photography. x
ReplyDeleteOh, Nat. I love it when you take me away like this....
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone :-)
ReplyDeleteLooks like an elegant and relaxing cruise! =)
ReplyDeletehttp://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/
I would love to be able to visit UNESCO sites like this one all over the world.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous trip Nat, the shots do look good in B&W but I'm so glad you let the last one in colour, it looks so misty and moody.
ReplyDeleteWow! People who have seen these told me it's one of the most amazingly beautiful spots on the planet...
ReplyDeleteLOVE your photos! They are really good...
Oh Nat, what an incredible journey! I love seeing the dining room and the boat's interior. Your photos, they are fabulous and really tell the story of your adventure!
ReplyDeleteBises,
Genie