Pho - noodle soup with chicken (often served with beef)
While in Hoi An, we had the chance to learn to cook some delicious Vietnamese food at the Red Bridge Restaurant and Cooking School.
A half day at the school costs around US$27 and includes a tour of Hoi An's lively market....
Rambutans
Dragon fruit
Durian fruit
Where's the Colonel?
All your eggs in one basket
The Spice of Life
Then a boat cruise down the Hoi An River to the Red Bridge Restaurant....
Where we were taught some of the skills of Vietnamese cooking....
Making fresh rice noodle paper
My attempts at fresh rice noodle rolls
and crispy pancakes
and eggplant in clay pot
and edible decorations
And after all that food.... we had the chance to sample even more dishes prepared by the restaurant!
Ok . . . see what happens when I fall off the face of the earth? You literally travel to the OTHER SIDE of it!!! HOLY COW! NAT!!! I've missed our adventures so! And . . . VIETNAM!?!? WOW! These photos are so amazing. I am so interested in other cultures and day to day lifestyle routines, and I love these photos of the market there. Is vietnam food anything like Thai food? I must look into it (and feel quite silly asking.) There is a Thai restaurant that my husband and I frequent, and I lOVE the spring rolls there. These look just like the ones I covet!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry I've been gone. I have so much to catch up on with you . . . off to read some more! Hugs, my well traveled adventurer!
Hi Leanne
DeleteVietnamese food is a bit like Thai food only not quite so spicey I thought, more emphasis on fresh herbs and salad. Very light and yummy :-)
Hi Leanne
DeleteVietnamese food is quite like Thai food but less spicey I think and not so many creamy sauces, more use of fresh herbs and salads... very yummy :-)
What great photos and now I am sooo
ReplyDeletehungry..hours til a break..grrr
Thanks faye.. hope you got a nice dinner :-)
DeleteIt looks so yummy - I´d eat it all! :-)
ReplyDeleteI did... and then ate some more :-)
DeleteStomach is now grumbling!
ReplyDeleteWoah! I'm slobbering over the keyboard right now, that food looks delicious! The boats are just lovely, too, what a gorgeous way to be ferried about. x
ReplyDeleteFantastic tour of the market, the dragon fruit are so pretty! How wonderful that you learned how to cook Vietnamese style!
ReplyDeleteThe spring rolls and the soup look yummy.
ReplyDeleteThese pictures of the market are incredible!!! I would be all over it! What a great way to experience the food- I think this is the coolest part of the trip so far! I love Vietnamese food, we have some yummy places for it here in Portland!
ReplyDeleteI don't know how much a stone weighs, nor do I know how long a fortnight is. What I do know is that it looks like you had a great time and as always, beautiful pictures!
ReplyDeleteA stone is 14 pounds (about 6 kg) and a fortnight is 14 days
Delete:-)
Oh yum! The dishes you prepared look delicious! I love Vietnamese food. There is a very large Vietnamese population in my county. There are many excellent Vietnamese restaurants in our area and we love to eat at our favorite one. Once again, your photos are fantastic...
ReplyDelete