The ever fabulous Classy in Philadelphia is currently on a cruise in the Caribbean (lucky thing!)....but her 'Where In The World Wednesday' feature is still running while she's away. If you'd like to take part too, all you have to do is post a picture (or many like I do!) of someplace in the world. Don't forget to use the WITWW button in your post, and to visit Classy in Philadelphia later to post a comment on her WITWW, so that other participants can visit your blog too.
Earlier this week I showed you a photo that I took of the 25 de Abril Bridge in Lisbon....it bears a striking resemblance to the famous Golden Gate Bridge of San Francisco...today's destination! This amazing city was the last stop on our 2008 road trip through western USA that I've already written about HERE and HERE.
On the Golden Gate Bridge
I loved San Francisco....the beautiful Bay setting, the hilly streets, and the relaxed, arty vibe of the city reminded me strongly of Cape Town. We had perfect autumn weather the three days we were there...not a cloud in the sky, no sign of the famous Bay fog and barely a breeze. Our stay coincided with Columbus Day weekend and we watched the parade and Blue Angels' aerobatics display from our hotel, just off Fisherman's Wharf...
Columbus Day Parade
Blue Angels' aerobatics display seen from Hyde Street Pier
We took an evening tour of the former state penitentiary, Alcatraz Island...really spooky by night, but worth the spine-tingling moments in the prison block just for the views from the boat on the way over of the sun setting behind the Golden Gate Bridge, and the city scape by night seen from "The Rock".
Truely Golden Gate
"The Rock"
Cell block
Prison cell
While we were on Alcatraz, a fire broke out on neighbouring Angel Island, and we watched while firefighting helicopters tried to dampen the blaze. Apparently a camp fire had gotten out of hand. The next morning we could see the island still smouldering from our hotel room.
We spent the day exploring Chinatown and Little Italy by tram and on foot....
Tram stop in Chinatown
Chinatown
North Beach
Steep roads
There was just time for a quick trip to strain our necks looking up at the magnificent redwood trees (Sequoia sempervirens) in the Muir Woods....




WOW .. I had forgotten how lovely
ReplyDeleteSan Fran is.. your photos brought back
flood of memories from our trip there.
Good times.. Good Food and the best
visit with an old friend.
Thanks for jogging my memory.
Nice photos and narrative! You are right SF is an amazing city. There are so many great photos to be taken there.
ReplyDeletefaye- sounds like San Fran is your type of place :-)
ReplyDeletePat - thanks!
Your photos are beautiful. I've been to San Fran but I wasn't there to see so much, you're making me want to go back!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Susan :-)
ReplyDeleteOh man, this post single handedly makes me want to go there RIGHT NOW. Gorgeous. I love CALI but I've never been to San Fran...just San Diego. Those Alcatrez photos are spooky!
ReplyDeleteThanks for always joining in and see you tomm :)