Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Where In The World Wednesday: Las Vegas



Believe it or not, it's Wednesday again and time for Classy in Philadelphia's feature...Where In The World Wednesday. If you'd like to take part too, all you have to do is post a picture (or many like I do!) of someplace in the world. Don't forget to use the WITWW button in your post, and to visit Classy in Philadelphia later to post a comment on her WITWW, so that other participants can visit your blog too.

Today, I'm heading for the bright lights of Las Vegas. I'd always wanted to see the dazzling array of neon in Sin City, so I was really excited when our road trip through the Western USA took us there for two nights, back in October 2008.


Fremont Street Experience

The Flamingo

Luxor

The Strip

The Stratosphere

We stayed in the Stratosphere hotel, which is a little bit out of the way at the far end of The Strip. We quickly learnt that we couldn't just walk from one end of The Strip to the other. All the hotels are HUGE, as are their impressive shopping malls...making the distances between hotels overwhelming. I wish we could have stayed at the Bellagio (of "Ocean's Eleven" fame) ....


Fountain show in front of the Bellagio


Harvest display in the Bellagio Flower Court

We also quickly learnt that Las Vegas is geared to part you from your money! Every hotel has a casino....easy to get into, but try getting out again in a hurry....it's a maze of neverending slot machine and gambling tables. We did have a brief gamble, setting $10 as our budget (yeah, last of the big spenders!) and went $16 up on a slot machine, then lost it all within a few minutes. And that was the end of that....


The Venetian

The Venetian

New York! New York!

I think everyone should try and see Las Vegas once in their lifetime, but to be honest, for me that once was enough. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to see and do there, apart from the obvious gambling...the shopping malls are spectacular, the choice of shows unbelievable and the lights are truly amazing to behold.....but I was exhausted by the sensory overload and nervous energy of Sin City, and frankly quite relieved to be moving on to the green tranquility of Yosemite.

Going to the chapel....

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic shots of one of my favorite places.
    The second time around I got married there..
    NO not by an Elvis impersonator. Now we go
    every couple of years.
    Just love those roulette tables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to Vegas so bad! Your pictures are amazing!

    Thanks for joining in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you - one time in Vegas is plenty! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vegas just seems so...weird to me. I loved drying through it as a teenager, but now? I don't know.

    Hell, who I am kidding. Vegas, Baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous shots!
    i was in vegas for about 18 hours on a road trip back in 2007 and would love to go back!

    ReplyDelete