I thought taking part would be a good way to
So, I’m starting off this week quite close to home.... on Jersey, the largest of the Channel Islands, which is located just off the coast of Normandy, France. Jersey has been a self-governing British Crown Dependency since 1066, and is therefore not part of the United Kingdom. Low income taxes lure tax exiles to the islands, and visitors can take advantage of the tax-free shopping opportunities.
Map taken from HERE
Victor Hugo described the Channel Islands as “pieces of France fallen into the sea and picked up by England”. Indeed, Jersey holds many similarities to mainland Britain, but is typically sunnier and warmer and has subtle French influences....particularly in the place names and the food.
The island has beautiful beaches and coastlines with spectacular cliffs, authentic French restaurants and a rich cultural heritage of monuments, from prehistoric tombs to medieval castles. There are also several grim reminders that the islands were occupied by the Germans during World War II...such as the artillery direction-finding towers dotted all around the island. Jersey is home to the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust too.
B and I spent a fabulous, sunny week on Jersey in spring 2003. We stayed in a B&B and hired a car to explore the island from top to bottom...it’s possible to cross the island in under half an hour (and that’s driving on the narrow little roads at the maximum speed limit of 30 miles per hour).
We'd bought our first digital camera just before the trip, and experimented a lot with the different settings. Here's a selection of my pictures...
Plemont Bay
Devil's Hole
Corbiere Lighthouse
St Ouen's Bay
Royal Bay of Grouville
Royal Bay of Grouville with Mount Orgueil Castle in the background
Mount Orgueil Castle
Tulips in the Churchill Gardens
The grounds at Samares Manor
Elizabeth Castle - access by causeway at low tide, amphibious vehicle when the tide is full
Lalique glass altarpiece in the Glass Church
"Camel Rock"


Those pictures are beautiful and you captured my very favorite flower.. =)
ReplyDeleteLooking around I don't think I have many pictures worthy, maybe next Wednesday. I love the idea.
ReplyDeleteGreat pics. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Jersey. I nearly went for the day once on a hovercraft ferry when I was down in Torquay age 16 but we didn't realise we had to book in advance so didn't end up going. I was gutted.
ReplyDelete@Alle - Thanks! I'm going to Amsterdam next month...hope to catch the tulips in all their glory.
ReplyDelete@P - Thanks too! I would highly recommend a holiday on Jersey...there's so much to do and see and lovely weather and food, just a short flight from the UK or ferry
HA I thought this was going to be about the state New Jersey.
ReplyDeleteI'm not going to be stopping WITWW so no worries :)
ReplyDeleteWhen you first said Jersey, I immediately thought of NEW Jersey....silly me.
GORGEOUS photos!
@ Natalie and Classy - I had a feeling that US readers would think so...I haven't been to East Coast USA yet, just the West :-)
ReplyDelete