Friday, 19 March 2010

Diary Of An Ordinary Woman

I’m currently reading the ‘Diary of an Ordinary Woman’ by Margaret Forster. The book is a very cleverly put together work of fiction, a novel written in the style of a diary. But it is such a realistic “diary” that many readers of the first edition were duped into thinking it was indeed the memoirs of Millicent King, who was born in 1901 and kept a continuous record of her life from 1914 to 1995. Later editions of the book make it clear that it is in fact a novel.

Apparently, Forster (a well known novelist, biographer, memoirist and social historian) received a letter from the person to whom the book is dedicated, saying that her 98-year old mother had kept a diary since she was 13. The woman proposed that Forster edit her mother’s diaries for publication, but then the diarist’s granddaughter got very upset, as her grandmother had promised her the diaries, so the project was axed. Forster decided to go ahead anyway...not with the original diaries, of course, but with the idea of an "ordinary woman" whose private jottings provide insight into what it was like to be one of the many women who lived through the two world wars. It makes for fascinating reading, as Foster has clearly thoroughly researched the period for the background to the novel, and strongly develops Millie’s character through very believable diary entries. The narrative gradually change in style to match Millie growing up and going through life.


One of my regrets in life is that I didn’t keep a regular diary...not that I’ve lead a particularly exciting life (yet), but it would perhaps have been interesting to someday look back over my younger days and remember what I was thinking and feeling at that time. I would imagine the entry on the day I met B would have been something along the lines of...

Can’t remember exact day, March 1995
Full morning of lectures and Biochem prac pm. Annoying postgrad dude was hanging around, trying to chat up T [lab partner] - she is not interested but still strings him along. Went to dinner early with A&F. Usual crappy res. swill. M was there with his friend, B – what an arsehole! Thinks he’s some kind of god coz he’s studying comp sci at Tech and did his work experience in London. Kept throwing insults in my direction, so I had to retaliate. Asked him why he has no other friends that he has to hang around varsity students on a Friday night. Apparently, he’s some school friend of M’s visiting for the weekend. Just hope he’s not going to be hanging around now all the time. Went to ‘The Naught’ for some drinks with A, F, M. That B tagged along too, of course. M&B were quite drunk. I was too but pretended to be very sober, just to prove a point to B. He was being friendly with some other girl. She’s welcome to him.

I suppose it’s never too late to start keeping a diary. In fact, some blogs take the form of diary...a daily record of one’s life and the happenings in the world at the time. Just for fun, here are the "entries" for the last two days of my life....

Wed, 17 March 2010
Absolutely shattered. Hardly slept last night, as usual before a trip to the office. Tried taking melatonin this time as it worked when we went to LA, but maybe it’s just good for jetlag. Have now exhausted (ha ha!) all sleeping aids available without prescription. Miraculously managed to drive to Oxford without falling asleep at the wheel and causing carnage on a mass scale. Did almost get taken out by truck driver in the Roundabout of Death near M40. Cotswolds are looking so pretty in the spring sunshine – snowdrops and daffodils at the verges. Spent most of the day in meetings re Big Nob Client. Crap, another project for them. Ate too much cake, N's birthday. Drive home was long but OK – had to slow down twice to let pheasants cross the road – dumbass birds! So relieved to finally get home. B made delicious Toad In The Hole. Long bath and bed by 930.


Thurs, 18 March 2010
Still feeling washed out from Tues night - how do people cope with constant sleep deprivation, when they have small kids? Pressurised day, deadline for Big Nob Client. Worked till 7 then went to Aikido. Too tired to think properly and messed up all techniques. Spiderman [dude with rings in ear, nose, lip and possibly other unmentionable places] almost broke my arm. Sensei told him to slow down and think more! Tattoo Man showed me nifty wrist twist manoeuvre. Someone was farting loudly the whole class...wasn’t me, but I did worry after baked beans on toast lunch. Got back at 10 and had to reply to some emails from Big Nob Client. Too wound up to sleep till midnight; watched “The Body Guard”...what a load of old cods! Can’t believe I once thought KC was quite hot. Remember “Robin Hood”?

Hmmm, perhaps it’s best if I stick with my “random but hopefully slightly interesting or maybe even funny tales” style of blog entry. My life is far too boring for daily postings and someone has already published ‘Diary of A Nobody’ (a very funny read if you ever get the chance).



4 comments:

  1. True it's never to late. I kept one through high school but I lost it =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pity....would have been interesting to read some excerpts, if you were brave enough to publish them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept a diary in junior high and high school. Now if only I could find it....

    Diary of an Ordinary Woman sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you do find it, Beth...if would be interesting to read some bits, if you felt up to publishing them!

    ReplyDelete