It always amazes me how generous British people are when it comes to donating money to charitable causes...like the current Sports Relief campaign, which so far has raised over £31 million. For the benefit of non British readers, every year celebrities undergo extreme challenges (like the comedian Eddie Izzard's “43 Marathons in 51 Days”) to raise funds for good causes in the UK and abroad. If you’re interested, you can read more about this HERE.
Have you ever been the recipient of a random act of kindness? Has a complete stranger done something nice for you...not just because they had to as part of their job, or because they hoped to get something back in return?
Last autumn, B and I were travelling back to Sorrento from Herculaneum, and rather naively, we’d hopped on board a train at Ercolano, assuming that all trains from Naples ran to Sorrento when in fact the train line branches shortly after Ercolano. We would have ended up who-knows-where (Rome?), if it wasn’t for the kind Italian gent sitting opposite us....he must have overheard us saying something about Sorrento, as, with a mixture of Italian and English and much wild gesturing, he managed to convince us to get off the train at the next stop and change platforms. Grazie!
This past weekend, I went shopping for a few bits and bobs, including face cream in a well known UK chemist. As I’ve recently been (vainly and vainly!) trying to reverse the damage that a childhood under the hot African sun does to skin better suited to the damp British climate, I was splashing out on a up-market cream that promises to hold the elixir of youth within its tiny (and highly expensive) glass vial walls. Clutching my basket of goods in one hand, and a much-prized voucher for £5 off said esteemed product in the other, I went up to the till to pay. The friendly shop assistant quietly told me she would ring up the other bits of shopping first, which would earn me another £5 off voucher, and then she would ring each of the two face creams I was buying separately, as that way I could claim £5 off each one! Wasn’t that nice of her? Sometimes, just a small, kind act can really make your day...
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
AESOP, The Lion and the Mouse
Kindness begets kindness evermore.
SOPHOCLES, Ajax
I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.
TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, A Streetcar Named Desire

A few months back I was traveling to work with my daughter her diaper bag, and a stroller, as you could imagine it wasn't the easiest task.
ReplyDeleteWell I was taking public transportation and they do not allow you to come on with the baby in the stroller, you have to fold it up pick it up then pick your child up including all the extras I had packed for her day at day care.
I really dreaded this part cause I knew it wasn't easy especially if Maddi decided she didn't want to go on the bus. A woman waiting for the bus as well standing next to me looked up and said " please let me help you with that" I nodded and said " Thank You" she went on to help me get everything on the bus and even helped me unload it when my stop arrived.
I like to think of myself as that stranger. I will admit without tooting my own horn to much that I do go the extra mile for someone I feel could use my help.
Along the same lines as your last commenter... Since becoming a mum I've been startled at the kindness of strangers. Little old men help me carry the pram down flights of stairs; cars stop for us to cross the road when we are nowhere near a pedestrian crossing; people give up their seats on the train so that I can sit next to the pram; entire tables of restuarant patrons move their chairs out of the way!
ReplyDeleteAnd when I was pregnant people used to give up their seats all the time, and would carry my shopping to and from the car...
Nice.
Ha! Made a similar mistake when I was on my way to Pompeii. Had to climb off the train and head back the way I came. Loved Italy.
ReplyDeleteNever trust an Italian. You were probably on the right train all the time
ReplyDelete@Alle and Saffa - I'm glad you've had such positive experiences
ReplyDelete@UG - We will never know, but most likely we were in the wrong as we are hopeless at finding our way and need to be herded like sheep. I reckon you just have it in for the Italians as they have such good teeth ;-)