But eventually I figured it all out.... I got it sorted! I stopped calling traffic lights "robots", mobiles "cell phones", and restricted use of the word "pants" to talking about my unmentionables (my undergarments) and never in the singular (as in "I wore a jean pant", a phrase quite commonly spoken in the beautiful southern African accent).
I soon learnt that a geyser is a natural fountain that throws up jets of hot water and steam. It’s also the British equivalent of the American slang word "dude"... a bloke who's a bit hard and thinks he's the “dogs' bollocks”. It is certainly not the hot water tank in your house. I now know that someone is not insulting me when they tell me that something I own or have done is “the dogs' bollocks!”. Not so if they tell me I am talking bollocks.
I answer the greeting "Allright?" with "Allright?" and I feel no urge to contradict anyone ending every sentence with "...know what I mean?" since this does not in fact require any formal response, such as "Yes, I do know what you mean" or "No, I am not quite sure what you mean....please elaborate." Ditto, the terms "right?" and "innit?!" do not phase me in the slightest, as they require no further action on my part.
Having overcome that first language barrier, I was then faced with the even bigger task of getting to grips with the frankly quite ridiculous language flying around the corporate world. Now, I am not a business person. In fact, an ex-boss once told me that I completely lacked any sense of business acumen (note, I said ex-boss). I did not take this as an insult....after all, I spent nine years of my life studying medical science, with the express purpose of avoiding spending my working life conversing with a bunch of suits in their uniquely irritating BS (Bull Shit aka Business Speak), 24/7.
With all due respect to those who are actually in the business world, and who like to be pro-active...those who thrive on brainstorming, on getting their ducks in a row and then touching base to get a heads-up on whether they’re singing from the same hymn sheet, before going forward and pushing the envelope out...at the end of the day, BS is not rocket science (even if it does involve some blue sky thinking).
Nonetheless, I do still like to think outside the box....and some long, hard days at work, I just have to find humour in things that are obviously not intended to be funny in the slightest. Very Important and Serious Stuff, don’tchaknow?
Exhibit A
This gem in an email from Annoying Demanding Client #1 today:
Here are the very important and serious data that I requested. There are some outstanding queries that will need addressing, and I am riding herd on those.
Riding herd?
What on earth? Has Annoying Demanding Client #1 branched out into cattle farming? Does she don a power dressing suit and cowboy boots and go round up a few long horns before hitting the office in the mornings?
According to the Fount of All Knowledge (Google), to ride herd on something means to keep watch or control over it. Nothing whatsoever to do with cowboys.
Pity. But that’s a good enough excuse to post some cowboy-related eye candy.....
This gentleman first put in an appearance back here
My goal for next week....to incorporate that golden nugget into an email back to Annoying Demanding Client #1, or even better, casually drop it into the conversation in a teleconference without rolling off my chair in hysterics.
A massive challenge... but rest assured, I’ll be riding herd on that and definitely giving it 110%!



Language is so funny isn't it. It's like the word slag in the UK being a girl who sleeps around - that doesn't exist in the USA. I call myself and the boy bi-lingual because we just interchange our use of English within conversations but at least we know what we're talking about!
ReplyDeleteSometimes I'll get a comment on my blog from an American who hasn't got a clue what I'm talking about, it's mad that we speak the same language but there's so many variations. Office speak completely baffles me, "Riding the herd", he needs a swift punch in the kidneys. x
ReplyDeleteLOL. What a challenge getting it all figured out. Good thing I'm not there, I would be totally confused and I'm sure no one would ever understand anything of my Midwestern American slang.
ReplyDeleteHow funny! I just heard that term a few weeks ago from a coworker. I'd never heard it before and he looked at me like I was from another planet. I can't wait to hear about what your response will be!
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you for the eye candy - yumyumyummy!!
Kinda confused on all the translated terminology but one thing I do know, that cowboy is speaking my language! HA!
ReplyDeletelaughing... Keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteLove the complexities of language! I think your response to annoying client should read, "Sorry I have been busier than a one legged chicken at a shit kicking contest." Now that's busy!
ReplyDeleteWhen I first started working in tourism I was a tourist guide and I just could not understand the British coming on tour with me. Like in not a word
ReplyDeleteI was already laughing before you got to the "riding herd" and then got the cowboy eye candy... You are (as we say in the South) a hoot! I am not sure that you will be able to keep a straight face when you wrap this up on that conference call. Let us know as we'll all be laughing, snorting in the background!
ReplyDeleteBises,
Genie
Oh my goodness. I think I would like to ride herd as well. :-)
ReplyDeleteWho would've thought you could have such fun with the English language. Hilarious Nat, you will have to let us know how you go with THAT challenge!
ReplyDelete