Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Love, Life and Bubonic Plague



Happy Valentine's Day to all those who celebrate it!

.......

I haven't had a whole lot to say for myself lately.... that's possibly because there's not really been a whole lot happening in the Life of Nat.

Work is work. Clients are clients. Some are less annoying than others. Did I mention that I got a promotion last month?

Just over 6 weeks to go till we leave for Vietnam and I think we're on track...

Visas? Check.

Jabs? Check.

249 000 bottles of bug repellent? Check.

Antimalarials? Still debating whether we need them or not. We'll be hanging out in low-risk areas and have been advised they are not necessary, but that doesn't stop me checking the CDC website daily in case there has been a shift in opinions. Avoid getting bitten in the first place is the mantra... and essential to avoid the tropical delights of dengue fever, for which there is no magic prophylactic pill.

Antibacterial wipes, gels and sprays? Check! Yes, germophobe alert!

Travel guides? Check. I picked up the latest DK Guide on Vietnam and Angkor Wat... as I do so love their "pretty pictures and little text" format that suits my short attention span. I also picked up a copy of Jane Wilson-Howarth's How To Shit Around The World: The Art of Staying Clean and Healthy While Travelling... it's fascinating reading for a germophobe and emetophobe like me, and has many amusing little anecdotes that I may just have to share one day.

When I'm not fretting about catching malaria/traveller's diarrhoea/bubonic plague/leprosy and stocking up on medical supplies for our trip, I'm most likely experimenting with new healthy recipes or trying to keep moving, as part of my Not So Fat Nat programme that you can follow over here.

And that is pretty much all that's been happening in the Life of Nat of late....


10 comments:

  1. You do know how to make a trip sound enticing. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't forget to pack the camera. I see it's not on the tick list. We all would l;ike to travel along and see the country through your lense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camera will of course be going with! I was debating getting a new one but I do find my compact so easy to quickly snap opportune moments and I reckon there will be a lot of those on the trip...

      Delete
  3. I've read Jane Wilson-Howarth's book, it's ace.
    So jealous of your trip. Advice for South India's a bit like Vietnam, I risked not taking any anti-malarials and always stock up on the local repellent when I'm there as it's mega cheap and deals with the local critters better. After all Cheryl Cole caught Malaria and took the drugs. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nat..this picture made me swoon....baby animals *LOVE* Vietnam I'm so jealous! I'd be doing everything you are too. When Chris and I went to Peru he got bite so bad that he was bed ridden for two days, it sucked. Please share tips I'd love to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I want to go to Vietnam! I've been there before, but that was during the war. What a beautiful and amazing place. I can't wait to see some of the photos you'll be taking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes no news is good news!! BUT don't stop blogging-hehe!
    Have a happy weekend
    Much love, Bailey from Vanilla Blonde

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to hearing some of Jane Wilson Howarth's tips Nat haha sound intriguing, but probably very necessary stuff in certain situations. Enjoy Vietnam, I hear there is still a lot of French influenced style there, can't wait to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nat! If you are hanging out in towns in Vietnam, I don't think u need antimalarias. Anyway, I hope you'll have a wonderful time in Vietnam. Many Malaysians go to Vietnam for shopping :-) Things are very cheap there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vietnam??? We're going to Vietnam??? OQh, I can't wait for photos from this adventure!!!!!

    ReplyDelete