Sunday, 11 September 2011

Une Journée à Paris




Some days, I just need a little adventure...

Like getting up in the middle of the night to catch the stupid o'clock train down to London St Pancras... to grab some cheap, last-minute tickets on the Paris-bound 06.22am Eurostar.




Two and a half hours later, and I was buying my Carte Mobilis (one-day Metro pass) at Gare du Nord. First stop: Île de la Cité, for the majestic cathedral of Notre-Dame (Our Lady)....


Notre-Dame Cathedral


Then across the Pont St Louis to Île Saint-Louis... for pistachio and melon ice cream at the famous Glacier Berthillon.




A walk along the quays of the Left Bank of the River Seine....






And a cruise on the river...


Batobus in front of the Museum D'Orsay


A stroll down the Champs-Élysées....




Delicious macaroons at 'Angelina' on Rue Rivoli....




A walk through the Jardin des Tuileries...



And the Jardin du Carrousel....


Arc de Triomphe du Carousel


There was no time to say "Bonjour!" to the Mona Lisa, as the evening was drawing in...


The Louvre




It was time to hop back on the Metro and get back to Gare Du Nord for the 20.13pm Eurostar back to London...




Au revoir, Paris! More photos to follow....

13 comments:

  1. These are truly stunning....wow....take my breath away!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting 24 hours. Did you spend Sunday in bed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous day! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo very jealous...
    you can just pop over to Paris whenever..
    if only I could.. I love to wander around
    and have chocolate crepes , cheap wine and
    more chocolate crepes and cheap wine....
    ooh and maybe take a few photos as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did that a few years ago! Wish I had time to see everything, but at least got a quick view of the Mona Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even begin to tell you how green I am right now Nat, those are all my favorite places, how very lucky you are to be able to do that, honestly if I lived over there I would do that so often. Macarones at Angelina's how fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!
    @ Rosemary... I spent a lot of Sunday sleeping, got up to do a rather grueling Aikido class in the evening though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks AMAZING! cannot wait to go one day

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds and looks bloddy perfect - good for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha - bloody, not bloddy! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jealous!!! I love Paris and I haven't been in years!!!! A couple of my friends went for the day last year, just got a Ryanair flight in the morning and came back at night. I'd love to go on the Eurostar though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shit. What an awesome spontaneous adventure. Pistachio and melon ice cream??? Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great little trip!
    I've seen many photos of the Eiffel tower, but NONE from this perspective. I love it!

    ReplyDelete