Tuesday, 27 September 2011

The Jurassic Coast

The Dorset and East Devon Coast World Heritage Site is known as The Jurassic Coast. It covers 95 miles of truly stunning coastline from East Devon to Dorset, with rocks recording 185 million years of the Earth's history. World Heritage status was achieved because of the site's unique insight into the Earth Sciences as it clearly depicts a geological ‘walk through time’ spanning the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods.

Some magnificent views… earned after some steep walks! My calf muscles are still recovering…


Lulworth Cove


Lulworth Cove


Lulworth Cove


Natural arch at Durdle Door


Durdle Door


Chesil beach near Durdle Door


Charmouth Beach


Axmouth harbour





Coastal path, Beer Head


View from Beer Head


View from Beer Head








Near Sidmouth


It's a long way up!



8 comments:

  1. Excellent photos, Nat! I've never actually been down that way but I must rectify this! The coast down there is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello:
    This coastline is indeed dramatically beautiful and you have captured it so well in these glorious photographs. Fossil hunting is such fun and we have collected several specimens over the years from Dorset beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nat - These photos are stunning - I feel Devon pulling me back again after looking at these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous set of photos Nat and the previous post too, welcome back by the way. the Devon coast always makes me think of smuggling, must be all the Daphne du Maurier books I've read Frenchman's Creek etc. Spectacular coastline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I feel like I need to escape, I stop by here for a visit. Once I take in all the beauty of the photos, I close my eyes, and it's almost like being there. Well, not quite. But I try!

    I love your adventures, dear Nat!!

    So sorry I've been absent ... my creative brain has been swamped and I haven't spent much time writing. So appreciate your supportive words during this time!!!! Off to read where else "we" have been lately! ;) hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous, Nat! Sidmoth's one of the most beautiufl places in the UK, such a dramatic coastline. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nat these are gorgeous! I would love to see Lulworth and hike those cliffs, breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love! I've been lucky enough to visit the UK twice and instantly fell in love with the country side. The white cliffs of Dover was a favourite. xxx

    ReplyDelete