I have a serious travel bug at the moment...itching to go somewhere exotic and unknown. Some very exciting plans are afoot.... more on them soon! But for today, I'm going to revamp an old feature I used to run way back when... well, when I was also hard pressed for new and exciting material to post on here.
Today, we're in one of my favourite European destinations....Italy!
Today, we're in one of my favourite European destinations....Italy!
Back in 2008, on a walking holiday in Tuscany that I wrote about here, we did a day trip to the Liguria region. A bit of a long haul on two separate and very infrequent trains (we made the second one by a whisker!) but we were finally on the rugged coastline called the Cinque Terre ("The Five Lands" composed of five villages: Monterosso al Mare, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore). The hills above the villages are criss-crossed by a network of footpaths linking the villages and little dry-stone-walled vineyards.
Map found here
It was an incredibly hot day... the Italian Riveria in July is scorchio! The paths range from fairly easy going and smooth, to steep steps and rock-strewn. I found it a challenge to hike in parts and was grateful of my comfy, sturdy boots to negotiate some of the rougher paths. I was astounded to be overtaken in places by... ahem!...mature Italian ladies, tripping along in their flimsy high heeled, strappy sandals, not even breaking a sweat!
Superb views all the way....
Foccacia!
Feel free to join in with your very own WIWTT....
Beautiful views and blooming agaves!
ReplyDeleteLove love love Italy- never been to this region though- looks and sounds wonderful.
ReplyDeleteTHIS PHOTO is making me VERY happy right now. :) Sigh. I so want to be there right now. TUSCANY is awesome.
ReplyDeleteWow! What a beautiful place. I'm thinking I don't give you enough credit for your photography. These photos are amazing. Seriously, worthy of framing...
ReplyDeleteBTW, these are my favorite kind of posts. Tours of places I've never been to. Photos, words and experiences are all I need. Love this post!
Having Blogger problems again.. this is my third attempt to comment.....
ReplyDeleteLove your photos and tour. Italy is one of my favorites vacation spots.
YESSSSSS finally the abbreviated comment
ReplyDeletewent through..... I need some of that
foccacia... slightly warm with a touch of olive oil
Really, really want to see Riomaggiore!
ReplyDeleteWhen I look at such photos, I feel like they were created by some really keen designer, because it's so unbelievably beautiful. I really love your blog.
ReplyDeleteOh my, that first picture...the "villagescape"? LOVED it! How I wish that I could go there!
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful photos... I love those shots of the villages. they're just so italian aren't they? Love it.
ReplyDeleteFriends of mine have done this walk too Nat, the views are stunning. Well done !!
ReplyDelete