Monday, 25 July 2011

Always Remember To Look Up

The painted ceilings of Bolsover Castle that I wrote about here are worth a post all of their own.


The ceiling showing Christ's ascension into heaven surrounded by angels. It was painted in 1619 and adorns the Heaven Room (one of two small closets opening off the master bedchamber). 























The Pagan Room



The Star Chamber

8 comments:

  1. the frescoes of the cherubins are heavenly :) So apt to be on ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most intriguing and unusual paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So beautiful and intricate too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are awesome. I could spend hours looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! the talent and style in those days was amazing. Thanks for sharing this as it's probably a place I'll never see in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic ceilings, I'm glad you did a post about them. I agree, we should remember to look up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally moved by your post today, your photos. All these cute cupids :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful ceilings Nat, glad you didn't miss these.

    ReplyDelete