Friday, 29 July 2011

I'm Not A Fire Starter!



The invitation for our Aikido club BBQ this weekend proclaims:


"Bring your own drinks! Meat and fire provided!"


Well, that's a relief then... I'm not really into carrying my own fire around with me, how about you?


Cosy tales by the fire - photo taken by Nat at Anahim Lake (read more here)


Indeed, the only time it's really appropriate to run around with fire in your hands is..well.. probably if you're taking part in the Olympic Torch Relay. With the London 2012 Games set to start in just under a year's time, this week's newspapers have been full of stories about the upcoming events.


2012 Olympic Medals Unveiled This Week - photo from here


The Olympic Flame will arrive from Greece on 18 May 2012, and the torch relay will kick off in Land’s End, Cornwall, and continue for 70 days...travelling as far as the outer Hebrides... on an 8,000-mile journey that will culminate at the opening ceremony of the Games on July 27.



The 2012 Olympic Torch - photo from here



The public have been asked to nominate “inspirational members of the community” to be the 8,000 torchbearers in the relay. One such nominee is 82-year old Gordon Roberts, a friendly tramp from Bournemouth, who is well known for always knowing the correct time, despite never wearing a watch. At least he can be relied on to be on time if he is chosen....



Always on time Gordan - photo from here



Have a great weekend, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Oh what a great time it would be to be in London next year when the games are held. I've always wanted to visit London and I've always wanted to attend the Olympics. It would be perfect to do them both at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still laughing about the Gordon comment ...

    Have a great weekend Nat .. enjoy the BBQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite possibly the best blog segue ever. You made me laugh out loud twice with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your campfire photo. I am horrible at night shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Gordon would be a great torchbearer Nat, as long as he doesn't have to go too far or run!!

    ReplyDelete