Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Wish I Was There Tuesday

10 places on earth that I hope to see one day before I die....

1. Machu Picchu, Peru
I'd really like to hike the Inca Trail to reach Machu Picchu after 4 days of hard slog - it would be the ultimate reward. But there's the small matter of having to get superfit to do so... and having the good luck to not succumb to altitude sickness or some dreadful stomach bug en route, not to mention the necessity to camp. For FOUR nights. And I do not do camping. So in reality, when I do get to see "The Lost City of the Incas", I will most probably be arriving by train....at least I'll smell fresh!


Machu Picchu from here


2. Venice, Italy
Enough said.

Venetian scene from here


3. The Taj Mahal, Agra, India
There is so much more to see in India and I plan to go there one day and see as much as possible...hopefully I will make it there in time to see some tigers in their natural habitat too.


The world's most beautiful mausoleum from here


4. Uluru (Ayers Rock), Northern Territory, Australia
I visited family in Australia twice as a teenager, but didn't make it anywhere near the Outback, let alone this amazing natural site. Probably just as well, as at that age I would not have appreciated it.

Uluru from here


5. Arches National Park, Utah, USA
Didn't make it this far on our Road Trip in 2008, but one day....

Arches National Park from here


6. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
The symbol of Cambodia....a country with a secretive and more recently tragic past.

Angkor Wat from here


7. New York City
I want to feel the energy of the ultimate metropolis...

New York! New York! from here


8. The Namib Desert
I've always thought being there, in that surreal landscape, would be the closest thing to being on Mars...

Dunes of the Namib from here


9. The Galapagos Islands
These volcanic islands teem with life in all its variety and were the inspiration for Darwin's 'Origin of Species'...


Bartolome Island, Galapagos from here

10. Iceland
Yeah, yeah...I had a bit of a run in with Iceland earlier this year....or more specifically, with an annoying Icelandic volcano that erupted, spewing ash into the European air space and putting paid to my plans to travel to Amsterdam. I am still in dispute with my travel insurance company for compensation (I don't give up easily!).

All that aside, I do have a fascination with this country of Fire and Ice...and the chance to see the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) would be an added bonus.


Aurora Borealis over Iceland from here


So that's my top 10...what are yours?


9 comments:

  1. I hope your wish will come true. Some of the places I want to visit are Tokyo, Venice, Istanbul and I want to see the pyramids and the sphinxs in Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just copy your list and make it my own? Because I have now decided that I, too, want to visit these places - primarily because of the photo you selected and the description you have given! I've been to New York, so I only have 9 more to go ... not bad!

    (Your comment on my blog today absolutely made my day! I'm still laughing when I think about it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do recommend a trek to India.
    The Taj alone is worth the trip, but
    there is so much more... three weeks
    would be about right to see the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list - mine is pretty similar!!! So many great places to go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weird. Most of the places you mentioned are on my list of places to see before you die. Not interested in visiting Australia or Peru though. Never heard of this place in UTAH before. Would also love to go to Vic Falls, Mozambique and Okavango Delta. Morocco. Croatia. Spain. Italy (again). Vietnam. Malaysia. Borneo. As you can tell, my list is endless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Currently lusting for Paris and London. I am PRAYING that those are my next year's two vations *fingers crossed*. Love your pictures. Especially the Taj Majal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have chosen some beautiful places! I already have been to Venice and it was wonderful. I only didn't like the mass of tourism. The crowd destroys the beautiful city, as my opinion! So I advice you to not go in school vacations etc.
    Hmm what is my top 10? I never thought of it, but I definitely want to do a roadtrip to Europe some day. I'm planning to go next summer with a friend! I hope we will do that, because I think this is the time for us (now we are still young).

    So you studied Molecular Biology? Tell me about it! I'm very curious about it. And what do you do now? I see you are working in the sciences?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back to Spain, Greece, the list goes on forever...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many places to see in one lifetime!

    Sophia - I studied molecular biology at undergrad level, went on to do a doctorate in pharmacology. Worked for a couple of years in pharmaceutical research but decided to get out of the lab :) Nowadays I work as a medical writer in clinical trials.

    ReplyDelete