Victoria and Albert (from here)
Osborne House (East Cowes, Isle of Wight) was built between 1845 and 1851 as a summer home and rural retreat for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Designed by Prince Albert himself in the style of an Italian Renaissance palazzo, the house was built by the London architect Thomas Cubitt, whose company also built the main façade of Buckingham Palace for the royal couple in 1847. An earlier, smaller house on the site was demolished to make way for a new and far larger house.
Following Queen Victoria’s death at Osborne House in January 1901, the house became surplus to royal requirements and was given to the state with a few rooms retained as a private royal museum. From 1903 until 1921 it was used as a junior officer training college for the Royal Navy known as the Royal Naval College, Osborne. Today it is fully open to the public, with the drawing, dining and billiard rooms and the private apartments laid out almost exactly as they were in Victoria’s day.
Unfortunately, photography is not permitted in the house, so I can’t show you the extravagant interiors, but here are some more views of the outside of the house….

soooo historically enlightening.
ReplyDeleteive read a biography about albert and victoria's life together. they had many tribulations, but it was a true enduring story of love and ultimately loss.
you dont know how blessed you are to visit! :D
<3 dennica pearl
- through the eyes of a pearl
- vintage shop
Beautiful photos of a beautiful place!
ReplyDeleteSomeday...
how beautiful . . . I can't even imagine being able to see this. Love the history behind the building. My dream - to someday be there and see some of these sites myself. Until then, I'll live through you! ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! Especially the one of the clock :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful place!I can imagine the extravagant interiors! I love visiting historical places. Thanks for sharing those bautiful photos.
ReplyDelete