Friday, 23 July 2010

Gorgeous Green



I spent a fair bit of time wandering about in forests in Canada, a country blessed with spectacular giant Douglas-fir and Red Cedar trees. I've always found photographing trees a bit of a challenge, as it is difficult to capture the sheer height using two-dimensional means. But here are a few pictures, taken in Cathedral Grove, a rare and endangered remnant of an ancient Douglas fir ecosystem on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. The biggest trees in the Grove are about 800 years old and measure 75 m (250 ft) in height and 9 m (29 ft) in circumference. They are the survivors of a forest fire that ravaged the area some 350 years ago and the even more devastating logging by the Europeans who colonised Vancouver Island from 1849.


Douglas fir


Red cedars (Thuja plicata)


The Red Cedar represents a critical species to the indigenous North West Coast peoples, who developed the tools and technologies to fell the giant cedars that grew in profusion.

"They used the rot-resistant wood for graceful dugout canoes to travel the coastal waters, massive post-and-beam houses in which to live, steambent boxes for storage, monumental carved poles to declare their lineage and dramatic dance masks to evoke the spirit world.

Every part of the cedar had a use. The versatile inner bark they wove into intricately patterned mats and baskets, plied into rope and processed to make the soft, warm, yet water-repellent clothing so well suited to the raincoast. Tough but flexible withes made lashing and heavy-duty rope. The roots they wove into watertight baskets embellished with strong designs.

For all these gifts, the Northwest Coast peoples held the cedar and its spirit in high regard, believing deeply in its healing and spiritual powers. Respectfully, they addressed the cedar as Long Life Maker, Life Giver and Healing Woman."
['Cedar, Tree of Life to the Northwest Coast Indians', Hilary Stewart]



This is a new tree growing out of the stump of an old Red Cedar. Look carefully on the left side of the stump and you will see  "springboard notches" of early logging operations. These notches would have held planks that allowed the loggers to stand and cut above the thick and often difficult-to-cut lower part of the tree...


Stump of Red Cedar with new tree growth


I was playing about a bit with the 'foliage' option of my Canon Ixus when I took these photos. I think it can overemphasise the green, making it appear a bit too enhanced or artificial....any thoughts?



8 comments:

  1. First of all, I LOVE pictures like this. I have been known to stand under trees for far too long, just snapping shots.

    You have a foliage setting? I am jealous! I don't think these are artificial or enhanced looking at all! (Of course, that's what I said about my neighbor's recent plastic surgery too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think those settings put too much filter on like when you dump them in Photoshop and up the green and contrast. The photos can look really nice but not a true foliage green I don't think.

    You sure did a lot when you were here didn't you! :) I've been loving the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from that area of Canada, and it was really nice to see this post. Last time I was there I went for a hike and tried to take a lot of tree pictures myself, which weren't nearly as nice as yours. The foliage setting is maybe a bit exaggerated, but I think its better to err that way than to have the grey, washed-out photos my little camera came up with, which isn't realistic either.

    Nice blog, I'm going to look around it some more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see the beautiful, mystic pics, but I also love learning all the info bits you share. Love this entry. How's Monkee?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks to me like you have no problem at all talking pics of trees! I wish I was there today...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That douglas fir sure looks ancient. I love photographing the trees too. They make beautiful photos and makes you really appreciate nature. Love all the photos! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shots ... I can never get my tree
    photos to look like anything resembling a tree.

    ReplyDelete