Friday, 9 July 2010

Beautiful Blue

On a sweltering hot and humid day like today, I'm dreaming of being beside the cool blues, greens and turquoises of the glacial lakes in the Canadian Rockies.


Lake Kinney, in the shadow of Mount Robson

The beautiful colours of the lakes arise from suspended rock flour...billions of tiny particles of rock generated by glacier erosion and dumped into the lakes by meltwater streams. The rock flour floats near the water’s surface, making the lakes appear both opaque and bright at the same time. It's the rock flour’s ability to absorb and reflect certain wavelengths of light that confers the lakes' unique colours: the particles absorb or eliminate much of the blue light, but reflect some blue, green, yellow, orange and red. The water itself eliminates the reds, oranges and yellows, leaving mostly green and some blue light. And that light is what’s available to bounce off the rock flour and out to our eyes. More rock flour means that more blue is absorbed, which results in a greener lake.


Lake Peyto


More of Lake Peyto


Lake Moraine


Lake Louise


Fairmont Chateau Louise on Lake Louise

I thought I would expire walking up the steep path to get that last view of Chateau Louise. Beautiful hotel and what a setting!  I had an amazingly delicious and expensive cheescake on the terrace overlooking the lake after the killer hike.

The last lake in this series is Lake Minnewanka....yes, indeed!....in Banff National Park. Another lung-bursting effort to get to this view, but worth it nonetheless...


9 comments:

  1. Amazing! Each one more beautiful than the last...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sat and people watched while eating expensive ice cream in Chateau Louise last time I was out there. I wonder what it costs to actually STAY there. Yikes! :) Same with the giant Banff Springs hotel, if you went in there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that aqua colored water juxtaposed with snowcapped mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I love all your photos especially the first one. Really beautiful shots!I have never seen a lake with such blue water in my whole life!Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos of nature..

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are GORGEOUS! & totally wish i could be there relaxing in that ice cold blue water... AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so wonderful!!!! I love love love this lake! I want to go thre now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Pat, Susan, faye, TK, Kimberley and Biana! :-)

    Veg - saw the Banff Springs hotel briefly but no time to explore...next time!

    ReplyDelete